Which Version

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
I have a Seat Leon 184 dsg, but age is now working against me, and i am looking at the Ateca. There are so many different versions, i would like a 2.0 Diesel dsg.
My question is which version offers the best option, i see FR,FR SPORT etc etc. It would be a 2018/19 model. Any pointers would be great.My 184, is very well loaded,
so i am not keen on giving things up

Cheers

Reactions: Tell

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
I have just gone from a 184 dsg Leon st, now in a ateca xcellence

Obvious things like speed and pick up yeah are missing but I really do love it. Two different cars but really do enjoy it. Picked it up one week ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
I expect to give up the performance of the 184, but i do not fancy giving up the Front and Rear Parking sensors, neither do i
want to give up the heated seats.Cruise Control, LED Lights. So i am not sure what models come with that

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
I have front rear sensors plus cameras and Apple play and seat led lights and entry

Leon only had apple play and rear sensors.

Like I said mine is xllence but not sure what others give you. Waiting for the bad weather so I can really try the 4drive bit out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
I know the feeling if it's back ache... Had that for years why I went for an Altea then Ateca since I need the high seating position and support. The sport bucket seats in the Altea were good. The Ateca seats in the Xcellence, mine are leather are good, possibly not so much a bucket holding position as the Altea. All of the low cars kill my back including the Leon... Use to get lifts home in them from the dealer getting a service.

The other launch Ateca models in 2016 didn't have such good seats as the Xcellence. I haven't sat in the FR so can't comment. You need to try them out.

Mine I bought all the extras (which you could in 2016) apart from the tow bar which I didn't have a use for. 2.0 TDI DSG 4Drive. 360 cameras are good with the high seating position since you can park bang in the white lines in parking bays, no fiddling about. Front and rear sensors have there uses but not much good in old carriage hotels with the car park at the back to assist getting through the building gap... trust me. You can't ultimately rely on them in tight places. Bumper needed to be pushed out... oops.

ACC some people swear by it, I don't use mine. I got lane assist which again I don't use, but that gives you the lane assist camera which on mine gives use traffic sign recognition (TSR), that you turn on the beeps so you get warned if you are exceeding the road speed defined by the cars mapping system or that which it has read off the traffic signs. Then for good measure I have the speed cameras imported into the navigation system. Have a thread on that here. TSR at the minute isn't turned on, on Seat cars with lane assist. You can use VCDS / Obdeleven tools to turn it on. Think VAG may have been concerned about litigation if it misread the signs. I find 99% accurate. Sometimes it needs to read a second sign to take it on road works signs. Variable speed motorway signs it reads etc.

Got the panoramic roof, my summer treat when parked up on holiday somewhere... good at ferry crossings. Heated front windscreen got that. Useful for de-icing and getting rid of mist. Ditto heated wing mirrors.

Motorised tailgate with the foot pedal. Saves reaching high and cuts down one extra trip unloading the car if both hands full.

Got the Plus navigation which I think you will can only get on the Cupra Ateca now. Lack of Mapcare in the UK and you get stuck with old maps. Got mine turned into a retrofit so I can update the maps six monthly. That's a navigation FeC change and got the firmware updated so it's now a 2019 unit rather than 2016. Not bothered so much about the firmware but the ability to update the maps but nice to have the updated screens. The standard navigation system / infotainment unit you can update the maps via the "workaround".

The car has run very well. No problems. A few build issues with a plug out, not clipped in, some reprogramming on the tailgate. An early batch had a faulty unit. The dealer sorted both out. No issues. No rust in the paint. Normal clouded plastic chrome trim... etc.

Last edited:

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Probably about as firm as what you have now I reckon. 19" wheels you take it gentle over speed bumps and ramps, but other than that it's fine. Always driven cars with firm suspension except a Citreon.
Having spent the weekend getting to know our new FR Black Edition, personally the 19s with 40 profile tyres are actually no problem at all. I was expecting the ride to be bordering on unpleasant and with intrusive tyre noise having seen a couple of comments here (after I ordered the car!). However, I needn't have worried. I'm really impressed with the whole package.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Mine are 45... once the set they came on wear out I'll move over to All season which are more suitable for a 4Drive. Much more choice of tyres than there was at launch which was an issue as VAG SUVs were all setup on the same tyres of which the use was pretty unique to the VAG then. No All season tyres available then.

Pleased you are finding it a comfortable drive. They do like to cruise at speeds you dont get in the UK and are firmly stuck to the road.

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
Why i have the attention of you guys, i will be interested on your views with regard to the petrol v diesel debate.
I am now looking at a change to a Ateca, but i have been looking at diesels, this is totally based on my car now,
and my previous car mk2 and mk3. By doing this i am limiting my options. My circumstances have changed a
little, so i tend to do shorter journeys.

I will be interested on your experiences with regard to this issue, and any feedback you can offer.

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Well ofcourse we are told we are producing pollution with diesel but if you live in the sticks it blows away. When I lived in London I deliberately didn't do trips where I could use public transport.

The SCR / Adblue isn't something to be frightened off. You use an Adblue pump every 11,000 miles or so found at large fuel stations on the lorry side - far cheaper than other ways of doing it, about £7 per fill, won't break the bank. The car coped with lock down taking it on a 12 mile shopping trip each week. The active regeneration wasn't that often, probably once in the four month period. The fans running at full blast cooling off the process.

The other car is an Arona that I don't drive, has the 1 litre 3 cylinder engine, seems to run fine, but given I have back problems I dam and swear about the low seating in that. Ateca Xcellence has far superior seats and position. Saying about 3 cylinder the 1.4 and 1.5 4 cylinder Ateca petrol engine ones have the technology where a cylinder is closed down making 3. The software is now sorted out for that from an earlier issue.

The Ateca diesel are commented on, on their snow handling since the weight over petrol provides better grip, if snow handling is important.

Probably be looking to an electric next time round but won't be for a time. Horses for courses.

Probably depends whether you are buying new or second-hand. The premium cost of having diesel and what you are going to do with it, any penalty charges associated with driving it. If you own a diesel it's probably the accountants one of not what it's cost you, but what it's going to cost you. On that basis I'm keeping mine.

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
I have been looking at a 1.5 tsi FR Sports. I do not have a issue moving to petrol, but can i ask how the power feels on this vehicle, assuming anyone has one. I quite often travel with four adults, so your views would be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
I was looking for some feedback from people that have one, as they would of been driving them on a daily basis.So i would have some
personal knowledge and direct feedback, the pros and cons.

Tell

Staff member
1.4 ? You mean. 1.5 is the newer.

1.4 would be second hand / old stock. People were happy with them but they were not the latest engine from VW at the time. They were replacing VW range with 1.5 litre rather than the older 1.4, Seat got them. Then there was the engine management fiasco which is now sorted when they came to Seat. The whole VAG range of 1.5 litre models had this issue. Recalled and reprogrammed.

Google... it is sorted out now, last year's problem :).

Not that I drive a petrol, which I don't, the selling point of the 1.4 and 1.5 is that it closes down a cylinder. It was the execution of this I believe on the 1.5 litre ones where the issue lay. 1.4 litre was never effected by this and it's fixed on the 1.5 litre now in any case.

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
Thank you for your answer, i have spent the last hour or so reading about the 1.5 issues, and despite the re programming
i read a post from 5 days ago, saying the problem still existed,and Seat were being their usual unhelpful selves .My wife
drives a 1.4 Ibiza and it is a great little engine. I think i shall forget the 1.5 FR, it was a 2019 model, so i would not feel
confident. So thank you for your help, and back to the drawing board i think.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
Honest John has drawn a line under it as being last years problem now fixed.... but still doesn't like the DSGs fitted into the 1.4 and 1.5 litre ones. That was suppose to be fixed years ago. He likes it fitted to 1.0 litre engines.

At the time of the engine management issue dealers were saying to PCP people take it up with your company.... I can see that could wind people up. Probably just that person with the 1.5 litre engine. Ateca people with the 1.4 litre engine loved their cars. Nobody was complaining about then. Perhaps just a rogue car out there.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members