white smoke

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Hi all , been having a coolent loss problem , seems every 2 weeks it needs topping up but no visible leaks :-/
Also on cold mornings (frosty) I get plooms of white smoke from the exhaust that last for a good 5 min whilst driving
But fine after the 5 min
My car has the bkd engine , its an 06 reg but has the revision c head , also been remapped to 170bhp its coming up to 46k miles and had a full service at 40k with a cambelt change , no oil loss , and no gunk on the cap , no loss of power and it starts fine ......I'm at a loss as what it could be .....some say egr cooler some say injector seals others blame the head or the remap ?

I'll be pumping some cash into it soon , but need to try and sort the colent loss and white smoke issue any ideas?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I'd guess EGR cooler mate. Coolant leaks through the hole into the EGR system, then when you fire it up it sucks it into the engine where it burns off as steam (or white smoke). It'll be leaking slightly all the time, but won't show when the engines running as iy burns off all the time.

hMeco

Mar 21, 2015
Denmark
if you have some mechanic skills, what i would do is i would take the EGR valve of and clean it.
EGR valves are expencive but again having no mechanical skills can get you in bigger trubble, if you do things worng, like everything else.

as Viking said the fluid is leaking into the EGR system, this is when the seals are bad or old.

I can recomend you first use EGR cleaner to clean the EGR valve and afterwords re-apply new seals, specific seals can be bougth at your Seat dealer.

If he asks you for a specific partnumber, (they are normaly secret), i may not jet post links here, but google for etka online, a website called part cat info will show up as first result, im using it myself when i need the right numbers so ho bad there. (since its an online tool you cannot use your vin number to fiund your car)

but Seat -> ALT (Altea) -> Year and away you go..

when you have tightend her up, i would spend few extra bucks on getting a BellAdd service cleaner D2 (goes into tank and its a small 10ml bottle) and a BellAdd injection cleaner (a plessure bottle that has to be applied AFTER THE AIR MASS SENSOR @ 2000 rpm (VERY VERY IMPORTANT)) this will clean rest of the intake and EGR system and she will be shiny and you will feel the difference.

Im using BellAdd (my personal experience with BellAdd is fantastic so i can only recomend it, but if you feel safe with other products fine by me)

The intake cleaner procedure i do every 30k km, and i regualy use BellAdd City (interval of every 2nd tank of fuel - City version is for cars with DPF).

i hope that this can throw you some light on your issue.

best of luck
hMeco

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.