Will it look silly?

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Trying to figure out in my head the implications of putting 17" SEAT alloys on my 1.9 TDi Leon, to replace the 16" steelies.

Is it going to look like its on stilts? I know an inch doesn't sound like much, but last time I changed wheels on my old Ibiza they looked awful and I ended up flogging them on again...:lol:

Opnions welcome!

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
I don't think a 1 inch increase in wheel size will make much different. Enhamcing the look of the car by adding alloys instead of steelies is a great idea.

Also no need to go with 17", stick with 16" and use the existing rubber, better looking car and cheaper to boot :)

Most of the Leons that come with 16" rims are sesigned to accept 17" rims an options anyway

Surely it'd look more like it was on stilts with smaller wheels? (you can see more of the suspension) and there is a bigger gap between the wheel arch and tyre wall?

17's will be fine, some members have fitted 19's with lowering springs fitted so clearance or size won't be an issue.

It's more the look your're going for that'll affect it. If you're just wanting alloy wheels then maybe browse for some of the 17's from the FR model to maintain a standard/ proven look.

-SlicK

No smoke, No poke
Nov 23, 2008
Beith, Scotland
Hi mate, Iv got a set of 17" ibiza alloys on mine (which are in the for sale section at the moment) looks a bit high to be honest, but im hoping the 40mm lowering springs which are getting done today will help

Standard hight:

010.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Surely it'd look more like it was on stilts with smaller wheels? (you can see more of the suspension) and there is a bigger gap between the wheel arch and tyre wall?

17's will be fine, some members have fitted 19's with lowering springs fitted so clearance or size won't be an issue.

It's more the look your're going for that'll affect it. If you're just wanting alloy wheels then maybe browse for some of the 17's from the FR model to maintain a standard/ proven look.

The overall diameter of the wheel assembly won't change whether you have 15"/16"/17"/18" wheels providing you have the correct tyres fitted - it won't make any real difference to the gap between the tyre and the wheelarch.

For example -

Standard size - 205/55 R16 - Overall diameter of wheel assembly - 632mm

New size - 225/40 R18 - Overall diameter of wheel assembly - 637mm

You can see this is only a 5mm increase in diameter - next to nothing

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Putting overall wheel assembly aside:-

IMO the "STILTS" look can be avoided even on stock suspension if you make sure the profile of the tyre is equal or larger than the tyre to arch gap.

When people get super low profile tyres that are say 2 inches in profile with a 3 inch tyre to arch gap it will have the stilt look. Obviously if you have say 80 profile tyres they will look like ballons. It's getting a good compramise of tyre profile vs arch gap unless you're going to lower the suspension.

The overall diameter of the wheel assembly won't change whether you have 15"/16"/17"/18" wheels providing you have the correct tyres fitted - it won't make any real difference to the gap between the tyre and the wheelarch.

For example -

Standard size - 205/55 R16 - Overall diameter of wheel assembly - 632mm

New size - 225/40 R18 - Overall diameter of wheel assembly - 637mm

You can see this is only a 5mm increase in diameter - next to nothing

Yes, i am aware, however visually when you are looking at the wheel area of a car, the tyre walls do blend into the darkness of the gap between the wheel arch and the tyre, an 18inch rim will be a whole inch nearer to the arch than a 16inch rims giving the illusion of filling the arch better and preventing the 'stilt look'

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members