Will my insurance company replace it with brand new headlight or refurbished?

NigelPatrick

Jun 17, 2020
My Mk3 2015 was recently involved in an accident and the front left head light is rendered useless. It's an LED headlight and according to prices on eBay, they cost around £600. So my question is, will my insurance company replace the headlight as new or replace it with a used one?

Regards,
Nigel.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Insurance dont use used parts it will be a brand new one i reckon

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I would kick off big time if they slung some second hand on with price of insurances these days lol

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Been threw it with a fine tooth comb when i had a bump and never seen any mention of used parts, mustnjust be some

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Does it state something along the lines of return to pre-accident condition or words to that effect?

There is an article here that may be of interest:

The use of used parts is greener, has a cost saving and may also be the most expedient - Covid and Brexit are having massive issues on automotive car parts and the raw materials used to make them - I’ve been waiting several weeks for a high level brake light on factory back order.

My brother has worked in an auto recycling workshop in California for years, where second hand parts that are removed, inspected, (potentially repaired if economically viable to do so), conditioned/certified and packaged. It is a very big business in the US for second hand parts for insurance and general repairs. His workshop is like an aircraft hangar - absolutely pristine with excellent engineering hygiene, not as most would imagine like a scrappy/breakers yard.

Reactions: Mr Pig

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I'm sure they will use a new one.

Tbh even if they use a second hand one it might not be a bad thing since the LED DRL yellows after a certain amount of years, so they fit the new one you will end up with DRLs which will be bright white on one side and slightly yellow on the other side and look odd.

NigelPatrick

Jun 17, 2020
Thank you for the replies. Another thing I should've mentioned is that my car is on finance and I also have GAP insurance. But when I think about it, I never got the chance to mention to my insurance company that my car is on finance unless they know already? I guess my question is, if my car is total loss or write off, will my insurance company pay the remainder?

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Thank you for the replies. Another thing I should've mentioned is that my car is on finance and I also have GAP insurance. But when I think about it, I never got the chance to mention to my insurance company that my car is on finance unless they know already? I guess my question is, if my car is total loss or write off, will my insurance company pay the remainder?

The insurance will pay what they think the car is worth, the GAP insurance should cover the difference between their payout and the price you paid.
You may need to negotiate with your insurer if they try to give you a crap offer initially.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.