Wind noise from top drivers door???

kidcrew_Bob

Hi to all (my very first post!) - I have just picked up an Altea 2.0 TDi Sport DSG today and whilst it is exceeding my expectations all round (it's bl00dy superb!:happy: ), there was one niggle hacking back over the M62 from York this morning (in a blizzard!) - above 25-30 MPH there is a definate windrush / whistle noise coming from the top of the driver's window (or maybe top door seal?). I thought at first the window wasn't quite shut properly but it was.

The road noise drowns it eventually, but I just know I'll have to sort it...

A quick visual examination of the top side of the door reveals no kinks or obvious abnormalities in the door seal rubbers etc, so I guess one for the dealership????

Any suggestions, or similar experience?????

Thanks in advance...

Bob

Altea 2.0 TDi Sport DSG, Tinta Black, July 05

akg

Aug 2, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I get a wind noise from the area of the passenger side window at about 80mph. Even with the window down you can her the same niose.

I got my passenger to put his hand on top of the wing mirror (cup the wing mirror with his hand on top of it) and the whistling noise stopped.

It appears the noise is to do with the aerodynamics of the wing mirror (at least on my car)?

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Well known problem with the mirrors:

There is a corrective mirror-kit with order-no. 5P0 857 939 A (costs ~ 0,50 Euro) which consists of 2 foam stripes (one for each side). These are "glued" at the inside (interior) of the mirror attachment.

Should be manufacturer fitted in cars after VIN 5P-5-071 373 ... but rumours are, that there are even MY06 Alteas without this kit.

Hope that helps .... Klaus

PS: Though all infos are related to german "setup", I'm confident that those numbers will match here as well.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Klawit

Yes, thanks, I did have a read this afternoon using Google translation. It did not seem to me that all people agreed that the mirror kit helped. Some said the noise went down in warm summers and I noted that you were posting about four people in the car with the sun roof down... There was also talk of a resin to put in the mirror which jammed it up.

I'll phone my dealer up at the weekend and see what they say. You haven't got any pictures have you of your mirror kit fitted ?. If this is a fix now, inspection of a 2006 Altea mirror against the 2004 might show something.

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
No pictures, sorry, our members are complaining about lacking visible evidences as well ;)
... it's not visible unless you demount the mirror (I was told) and I won't go that far just to dip into it ... ;)

There seems to be a "new" instruction for the dealers, as it depends on HOW the kit is attached (i.e. like upside down) ... and you're right, some guys reported "no change at all after installation" ... but then, dealers aren't always said to be the most skilfull. One member's experience was exactly that, after changing left/right and turning the stripes the noise was gone.

The ones with the "new" kits mounted are 90% pleased ... so you should give it a try.

Klaus

kidcrew_Bob

Wow! - what a helpful lot you are!! I am looking forward to many happy years of Altea ownership.......

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply...........

Tell

Staff member
Bob there are some very helpful people here including Klawit.

Klawit, it seems that it isn't a do it yourself job, but one that you say to your Seat dealer you have a problem with wind noise and they fix it ?. I think that is what the German site is saying and you are, and this fix is via them taking your mirror off and fitting some extra piece with that part number. Think my Seat dealer could play dumb on that. We'll see.

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Tell said:
Klawit, it seems that it isn't a do it yourself job, but one that you say to your Seat dealer you have a problem with wind noise and they fix it
Correct, that's the way you should face it, as there's said to be a printed instruction coming with the kit ... and that's for dealers only.

Thou I have some slight wind noises every now and then (which I already mentioned towards my dealer) I haven't got this "problem" checked/corrected so far, as I tend to wait until next service.

Greets ... Klaus

PS: thanx for the praise ... :redface:

Gilrick

Nov 26, 2003
East Yorkshire
Visit site
I thought the wind noise around the top of the door was down to the weird little hole in the top of the door opening. Looks as if it missing something but what nobody knows. :( .

Sure this has been discussed at some point somewhere.

Tell

Staff member
Gilrick said:
Looks as if it missing something but what nobody knows. :( .

Sure this has been discussed at some point somewhere.

The roof rack ;). Yeah it was discussed before. Some people put tape on those holes, I tried bluetac but I took it back out again. I don't think it's that. Those precise German's seem to have pinned it down to the aerodynamics of the wing mirror and how tight the doors fits against ambient temperature.

chrislang

I too have wind noise around the front passenger window of my Aug 04 Altea
Usually stuffing a hankerchief arount the inside top rear corner of the window cures this completely., but I've yet to come up with a'proper' fix. No apparent noise from driver's side however.
Regards Chris

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
If you read the title of this post from the Altea listing page it misses of the door bit...I was expecting a thread about Michael Schumaker and pals forcing out excess gas around the twisties under maximum G.

bigdavy

So just found this after a while searching. Has anyone here in UK had success with this? Any how to guides at all or really just any more info? A couple of foam strips somewhere in the mirror seems a bit vague. :blink:

I really need to do something as the wind noise is driving us mad. [:@]

chrislang

I can't remember!

Hi Davy
I'm sorry I can't remember, but I think I did something with Foam strips!
I replaced the Altea with an AlteaXL in 2007 and have not had any problems with wind noise.
Good Luck
Chris

Tell

Staff member
Hi Davy
I'm sorry I can't remember, but I think I did something with Foam strips!
I replaced the Altea with an AlteaXL in 2007 and have not had any problems with wind noise.
Good Luck
Chris

Klawit's post from 16-03-2006, 15:02 and on gives the part number. It was a design fault so you had a vortex in the mirror / door frame which made a noise when going fast. The foam did work I fitted it myself getting the parts from a Seat dealer off the net from somewhere up north. At the time it was suppose to be a free fix. After about a year or so of production Seat fixed it so car's made from say 2005 and on shouldn't have the problem unless the mirror's been taken off the door and the foam left out.

Mine was fine and did fix the problem, however coming back from Austria a few years back the passenger side of the foam came out and stuck in the window. So I grabbed it and stuck in the glove box and the wind noise didn't change. Don't think it was the main bit of foam as I recall I put two bits in on each side.

So all is good. I do get a wind noise from above the rear view window when going fast but I'm ignoring it. Pushing the plastic around there seems to stop that one.... as long as you drive along holding the bit.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members