Window Lifter Altea/Toledo 2L 2007

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Seatwindowlifter.jpg

I have just replaced the offside window lifter on my ALtea/Toledo 2L 2007 I am told by the Seat Garage that they replace a lot of these due to the cable rubbing on the sharp metal frame. Has anyother member come across this problem. I have written to Seat in Spain(see below) and they have come back to me saying that they are going to investigate the problem and get back to me. I am trying to get Seat to help me with the cost of replacing the window lifter (£250) as it was not fit for purpose when it was manufactured. Any feed back from the forum would be helpful. aggie

SEAT AFTER SALES
INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMER CAre

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your letter, which we have taken into consideration.

With regard to your case, we would like to inform you that after having analysed your comments, we will undertake a joint investigation along with our Importer in the United Kingdom, SEAT UK, and our Importer in your country of residence, SEAT España, responsible for our Brand’s sales and after-sales matters with the purpose to obtain further details about this situation.

Please wait to be contacted with further information by International Customer Care SEAT, S.A. or SEAT España.

Yours sincerely,

International Customer Care, S

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the link I have copied all the posts and sent them to Seat. aggie

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Urgh! ...my window squeals (05 Toledo) but I wasn't too worried, cos I knew this was the problem - first time I've seen a chewed-up cable or the step-by-step guide to fixing it. Looks a right PITA :(

Yep allow yourself at least 3 hours,and if it goes wrong 5+!
Or if your me,i gave up after 4 and drove round to my apprentice's place! He'd just moved from a vw main dealership as head mechanic! :D

jontbone

Yep,probably about half the Alteas on here have been done! done my drivers side,and waiting for a dry day off to do my passenger one! :cry:
Lots more info here! :)

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274385

I tried to find a thread like this a couple of weeks back. My nearside window had been squeeking for months, then got stuck, then the window dropped. Thought about trying to fix it myself, but quickly decided against it!

Got an independent garage to install a new regulator. Cost me £200.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I tried to find a thread like this a couple of weeks back. My nearside window had been squeeking for months, then got stuck, then the window dropped. Thought about trying to fix it myself, but quickly decided against it!

Got an independent garage to install a new regulator. Cost me £200.

Thats not too bad,the part is around half that! :)

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
*THUNK* wuuuuuuurrrrrr Nooooooo! :cry:

That's two Toledos now - Mk2 & 3, both with knackered passenger window winders. FFS!

I think I'm just gonna replace the door on the black one with another Toledo/Altea door, cos it's full of parking dents anyway.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
I have now received a reply from Seat UK. who say they have no knowledge of any problem with the window lifter and that they had no warranty claims for this problem. Therefore, they cannot help me with the cost of replacing the window lifter. I drew their attention to the posts regarding this problem but they were not interested. So, unless I can prove that the window lifter was not fit for purpose I have not got a case. Has anyone researched the fault and know what actually causes it? I still have the offending part so what I need is an engineers report, has anyone done this? Then it would be possible to take a case to the small claims court which I might consider. I think Seat know all about this problem but are wary about admitting liability and helping me due to the amount of claims and costs involved. aggie

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I think the cause is that there is an exposed section of cable at the bottom of the door,this then dries out and starts to corrode,causing the cables to break and frey!
I doubt these would go under warranty. seems most cars go at the 6 to 8 year old mark.
They must have a good idea though,as they must be selling hundreds of these lifter cable sets a week! :(

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks PDH 14A for the infor. At least I tried so it looks as though Seat were right when they said about no warranty claims the trouble starts some years later. Oh well if you don't ask you don't get. Another day another dollar. Aggie

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Thanks PDH 14A for the infor. At least I tried so it looks as though Seat were right when they said about no warranty claims the trouble starts some years later. Oh well if you don't ask you don't get. Another day another dollar. Aggie

Good effort for trying aggie! this is apparently a VAG problem throughout all 2000 -2009 models sadly,i suppose the whole group cant admit to this problem as it would cost them millions :(

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
window lifter

Reply from Seat regarding window lifter that was not fit for purpose.

SEAT Customer Service <[email protected]>

11:22 (6 hours ago)

to me

Reference: ST-2012/10-002995

Dear Mr Western

I am writing to you with regards to your ongoing enquiry with SEAT UK Customer Services and our subsequent telephone
conversation on 6 December 2012.

Please allow me to once again apologise for the issues that you have had with the window lifter on your vehicle and for any
inconvenience that you have been caused as a result. I can confirm that I have discussed your concerns with Mark, Service
Manager at Clarks Kidderminster and confirmed the details of your repair.

Whilst I am always concerned to hear of repairs required that are deemed premature by the owner it is our view that if there had
been any design defects with your vehicle, these would have become apparent during the Manufacturer's Warranty. After over five
years of use I feel that the responsibility for the replacement of the window lifter is the responsibility of the vehicles owner.

For the reasons stated above I am unable to offer any contribution towards repair costs. Thank you for contacting SEAT UK and
giving me the opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards

Gareth Goldthorpe
Customer Relations Manager - Executive Office
SEAT UK
Tel 0500 222 222

[email protected]
www.seat.co.uk

How-J

Nearside front packed up just before christmas, luckily it was nearly closed and managed to push it shut.
A job for a (non) rainy day along with my drop links...
H

How-J

Good luck with the small claims, I considered this route with the ABS sensor when that failed requiring new ABS pump at £1300. Got in touch with VOSA to try and add my two-penneth for a recall but was refused as it wasn't a valid reason for a recall (!)
In the end after pursuing local dealers with no luck Seat UK agreed to pay a large portion of the cost as the car had always been dealer serviced and was under 4 yrs old at the time.

H

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I'm still considering swapping the whole door, but it's a front wing off job (minimum) to get to the hinge bolts and I don't know what else you have to strip down to do that.

I broke some of the tabs off the inside of the doorcard when I lost my temper trying to get it off to get to the mechanism... and after I'd stuck some of those numberplate sticky pads on the glass to hold it up, couldn't get the doorcard back on properly anyway.

Hint something not mentioned in the guide (I don't think) when you wind the screw out in the end of the door to release the lock blank...and then the handle won't come out, so you wind it a little further...you have to remember to wind it back in a little bit once you refit the handle, otherwise the lock blank won't go back in and it makes you really angry! LOL

How-J

Booked mine in to be done at the Dealer along with some other "bits". Fairly decent quote as no time or inclination to be messing with cars right now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.