Windows 11 21H.... Upgrade on unsupported 64bit hardware - link (2021 Launch)

Tell

Staff member
Success yesterday on an i3 and i5 64 bit computers going round the houses on WWW advice and hints. The only one that worked for me was a Github project

All the rest with regedit parameters didn't.

Download your Windows 11 Iso and make sure you select English international if that is what you are on after unzipping, before running the exe file from the Github project as Administrator.

Reference and details here:

Only works for Chinese and English for the "Upgrade". The rest are clean and data installs. Upgrade you keep your apps and data plus local login if that's how you have it... not forced down the Microsoft online login route.

All is good, only question is whether Microsoft goes funny about people not installing it on their full spec recommendations.... that which there is acres about on the web. Thought that we will be left alone. Not having TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot is no big deal. It's all about selling new hardware.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Unfortunately at work we need tpm and secure as part of our SCCM build but always good to know there's ways round it lol

What do you think to windows 11? We've got test machines but not had a chance to get anything going yet.

Tell

Staff member
It works !.

I shifted the task manager icons over to the left, centre is too modern for me ;).

Everything still works. They have dropped the weather feed and news feed is suppose to be there but doesn't work for me.

Windows Mobile Device Centre (WMDC) is still supported with the Juniper System fixes. I use Windows mobile app for hiking so didn't want to throw throw that away.

Did one machine first then finding that was fine went for broke and did my office tower unit after. i3 2120 3.3GHzs, 8GB RAM. I put a 1TB SSD in it at the time of putting Windows 10t.... so it's pretty snappy. Hence why I thought there was still life in it yet. Laptops is HP 2in1 i7 so didn't want to have different versions between the two since I'll load Win11 on that and it's fully compatible.

I put the green tent back again :).... you wouldn't know the difference.

1634401712768.png

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Good news for windows mobile device manager lol we use that for setting up our scanner guns which are about the same age as me haha

Would you recommend the upgrade or say stick with 10 (latest release)? I'm always hesitant to try new Windows OS's until the first big patch.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
You can find a post saying WMDC doesn't work... I've registered and told them they are wrong. Juniper System msi file you use, .net35 must be enabled if it isnt and obviously have WMDC 64 bit installed. WMDC jumps into life when plugged into the device. Always pleasing.

I was worried that Microsoft might shut the back door for older machines that were not supported so jumped early on that whilst the door was open. Didnt want my new laptop that looks like a Cupra with gold edges 😉 on Windows 11 and my other one on 10. Haven't found a disadvantage yet with Windows 11.

Not made a decision about putting HP Spectre 360 on it yet. You need to photograph the screens so you can rebuild the same again. Those non Microsoft apps it can leave stranded so you have to build a short cut. Start panel, task bar etc.

Only day 1 so far.... nothing untoward. But I'm not taxing thou on use.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I shifted the task manager icons over to the left, centre is too modern for me ;).

Everything still works. They have dropped the weather feed and news feed is suppose to be there but doesn't work for me.
I updated my work laptop, figured that someone would be able to fix it if I broke (I work in IT!). How did you shift the task manager icons over? Having them in the middle is doing my head in! Also, I used to have an additional task bar with browser shortcuts which doesn't seem to be possible on Windows 11.

The weather feed and news are now in a separate 'widgets' option on the task bar. Works OK for me.

Tell

Staff member
I updated my work laptop, figured that someone would be able to fix it if I broke (I work in IT!). How did you shift the task manager icons over? Having them in the middle is doing my head in! Also, I used to have an additional task bar with browser shortcuts which doesn't seem to be possible on Windows 11.

The weather feed and news are now in a separate 'widgets' option on the task bar. Works OK for me.
You park yourself on the task bar, right click, then you got the options of how it presents. It's on there, a bit down, centre / left. I put the focus on which is a useful search box that can be toggled, put the rest off around that area. Also pulled out bits and bobs to put on the taskbar and start menu. Typical system stuff is hid away.

I didn't get the widgets to work. It is the Home edition I have so may be they left it out of that. Spent enough time on that but using a weather icon since they have dropped that.

Additional task bar ?. May be a hanging thing I got rid of a long time ago 😉.

Backing up now. As far as the recovery drive, they have upped that to 16gb of recent. Use to be 8gb.

I delete all the Microsoft sales stuff 😍. When you retire you want to retire with the products you know. 18 year old office does 😂.

Better nights sleep tonight... not nursing PCs updating.

Tell

Staff member

Got my widgets working on the said laptop that updated in 30 mins with iso file.... but not on the tower unit.... can live with that.... so now fully Windows 11 :footysup:.

Reactions: jcbmally

Tell

Staff member
Windows 11 is soldiering on, on two of our unsupported 64 bit machines, with updates, without problem except one nasty episode when it changed printer ports so the network printer appeared to have a fault. There were issues with Brother printer drivers although I never had an issue with it, but think the Microsoft fix to fix the problem caused the problem. It shifted the actual connection to USB2 (I never moved it) and generated a pseudo USB1 which it had previously been on making the printer effectively disconnected. Produced a period when I thought the printer had failed. Needed a few tweaks to re-link the printer back up inside the driver.

Another problem somewhere along the line the Epsom scanner software using the V750 Pro series gets a bit interesting in that it doesn't show the buttons on the screen in Windows 11. A known problem, fine with Windows 10. If you know where the button is, you tap the blank area, the button appears. Had periods when the Epsom scanner isn't recognised. Done the restore point thing then it brings it back. So best to check from time to time it's still seeing the scanner after monthly updates or installing new software. Suspect that's a driver issue (Windows 11 teething problem). The other is a programming issue.

Not holding my breath for Epsom to sort out their bundled software for that range of printers for Windows 11 so will continue to poke the blank area where I know the test scan and scan buttons are 🤣. Buttons do appear then and it works.

The Windows 11 home screen button thing, start screen is to be reworked so you can group together your apps as per Windows 10. Current Windows 11 is recognised as being half baked in this area.

Other than that, no blue screening that I can recall and all old programs run except the one mentioned. Performance is the same as Windows 11. You can debate the icons they use on the right button press rather than the text on the options. More options shows the old options, so it's a wedge new screen on the context button.

The Filemanager left and right screen, top right panel buttons is good for doing file copies. More tidy than manually positioning the screens yourself and dragging and dropping. Auto position sort of if you wish to use it.

Some how I get the feeling the new MQB Evo platform is like Microsoft updates 🤣. Prefer to keep the computer fun indoors 😉.

Tell

Staff member
I've got my widgets now they suddenly got enabled 👍. On the two PC where I did the Coofcookie workaround the widgets didn't work so I thought it was something to do with the workaround. In the Microsoft update programme of monthly updates whatever the issue was that created the problem got fixed.

Slight word of warning some people who tried the workaround not on the original launch ISO of Windows 11 couldn't get the method to work. Others got the Windows Professional 11 installed when they were on Home previously. Only got Home here, from Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Home. All updates have steady come thru since then.

I have no complaints with Windows 11. We've got that on two new laptop and on two 10 year old PCs both of those on Samsung SSDs. We wait for Windows 11 22H2 circa October.... hopefully no bumps in the road.

Tell

Staff member
22H2 here method here:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.