Windscreen fogs up EVERY MORNING

nebbers

I have had my new Altea for 2 weeks now and it is the first time that I have had air con. I am convinced that I am doing something wrong...

No matter what setting I have on the air con, every morning when I start off, after 5 minutes, the windscreen gets coveres in a fine mist that has to be manually wiped off with a cloth. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to clear on its own, nor can I prevent it from forming.

The mist is a fine film that really shows up in bright light.

Help...

... and no, air re-circ is not on.

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
sounds like damp in the car? check carpets etc

if the air is damp it will condense on the window when it cools.

andycupra

status subject to change
hold on, it gets missed up after 5 mins, not overnight..

in which case id say the air con isnt working correctly.

Its very surprising to get this at the moment given the weather! in fact, if its cooler in the car than out it should condense on the outside generally.

the warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold... so if you are bringing in hot air, then cooling it, its ability to hold moisture reduces and it condenses. therefore air con units should also dehumidify.
It sounds to me that it may be cooling the air but not dehumidifying it.

id get it checked.

nebbers

In the mornings, it is probably cooler outside than it is in the car when I set off. It was 14'C today for instance.

The mist is more of a misty film than specifically moisture droplets.

apn

Had something similar on my previous car, an Astra. Turned out the pollen filter was waterlogged. Took it out, propped it up by the radiator overnight, put it back - problem solved. Might be worth a try. The pollen filter on the Astra was under a plastic cover just under the windscreen wipers - dunno where it is on an Altea.

andycupra

status subject to change
apn said:
Had something similar on my previous car, an Astra. Turned out the pollen filter was waterlogged. Took it out, propped it up by the radiator overnight, put it back - problem solved. Might be worth a try. The pollen filter on the Astra was under a plastic cover just under the windscreen wipers - dunno where it is on an Altea.

a great point, the pollen filter was often cause of water ingress in mk1 leons...
so same could apply.

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
Have you got the re-circulate on, if so this will usually cause steaming windows about 5 mins after its switched on.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members