Windscreen/headlight washers - Selectable?

larrychips

Cupra 280 SC DSG
Nov 16, 2014
A question about the windscreen/headlight washers, which I have not been able to find the answer to:

I have noticed that about 50% of the time, when I spray the windscreen with water to wash it, that it also sprays water onto the headlights. Given the weather, I have to clean the windscreen regularly to get rid of the muck sprayed up by cars ahead of me (particulary on motorways). I'd like to be able to choose when the headlights are washed as it seems to go through alot of water...I've had to fill up the windscreen washer fluid twice now and I've only covered around 2250miles. Is there any way to disable or select when it sprays water onto the headlights, or does it do this automatically when I pull the washer stalk?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Yes, headlights will only get sprayed if the lights are actually switched on. They lights only get sprayed with every 3rd or 4th spray of the windscreen.

I believe there is a way to reduce the frequency but only by reconfiguring some values using VCDS. There was a post on here earlier in the week where a member had reduced it to spaying the headlights once every 15 sprays of the windscreen. I can't remember what model it was on though so I'll try and find the post.

larrychips

Cupra 280 SC DSG
Nov 16, 2014

Excellent, many thanks for linking that...not sure how I missed it! I am glad to see I am not the only one reporting this "issue". As it requires a change in the VCDS (which I do not have access to), I think its something I'll just have to live with. Gives me a chance to take a look under the hood and admire the beating heart of my baby every now & then...its not the end of the world.

I have been switching the lights on manually (to make sure they are on dipped beam) in the day-time recently as it has been pretty dark & gloomy...prefer to have full lights on so I am seen through the gloom & spray on the motorway. That would explain why the lights are getting washed so often, as they are on all the time at the moment.

Thanks again for the rapid reply!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.