Windscreen Wipers

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Is this a bit of poor design? Never had a car, old or new, where the wipers can't be lifted fully. On the Ateca, they won't lift more than an inch or so without fouling on the trailing edge of the bonnet.

When the bonnet's up, just one can be fully lifted.

Just a bit odd to me.

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
Found this out last weekend when I decontaminated the car.

Annoying isn’t the word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Is this a bit of poor design? Never had a car, old or new, where the wipers can't be lifted fully. On the Ateca, they won't lift more than an inch or so without fouling on the trailing edge of the bonnet.

When the bonnet's up, just one can be fully lifted.

Just a bit odd to me.
From the Owners Manual:
The wiper arms can be raised when the wipers
are in service position
● Close the bonnet
● Switch the ignition on and off.
● Press the windscreen wiper lever downwards
briefly
Before driving, always lower the wiper arms.
Using the windscreen wiper lever, the windscreen
wiper arms return to their initial position

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
From the Owners Manual:
The wiper arms can be raised when the wipers
are in service position
● Close the bonnet
● Switch the ignition on and off.
● Press the windscreen wiper lever downwards
briefly
Before driving, always lower the wiper arms.
Using the windscreen wiper lever, the windscreen
wiper arms return to their initial position
You're correct, thats the way to do it in all VWs

Tell

Staff member
;) I changed mine to Bosch when the originals reached the end of their life. The story use to go that the factory fitted ones were not Bosch and dealers ones may not be, so keep a spare set ready. The fitting size on the thread:

Reactions: Loadmaster748

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
;) I changed mine to Bosch when the originals reached the end of their life. The story use to go that the factory fitted ones were not Bosch and dealers ones may not be, so keep a spare set ready. The fitting size on the thread:

Would you say that the Bosch ones are better than the original ones?

Tell

Staff member
Would you say that the Bosch ones are better than the original ones?

Semantics I changed mine to Bosch but they were Bosch in the first place. It's the dealers when they change them for you can move away from what was factory installed to cheaper blades. So I always keep a spare set ready to fit. Fabricated the same so reckon the originals were Bosch least on mine.

Reactions: hamst

Tosun

Oct 19, 2020
I use wipers from my Octavia Mk III.They fit perfect and even better than the oem wipers.The mount on Octavia wipers is more precise to the wiper arm mount.No more wobbling wipers ?

Tell

Staff member
Probably Bosch ones ;). I know the Altea system was designed by Bosch and the blades were that. So stuck to Bosch blades with the Ateca. Other makes tend to get negative reviews. I keep the spares in the house under the stairs so aren't exposed to light or cold in the garage. I use to pick them up as part of a trip abroad, German Riesling down the valley and blades from a Bosch service centre. At that time much cheaper than in the UK.

Tosun

Oct 19, 2020
Maybe it is Bosch,,,they are Oem Octavia.But the fitment is much tighter then Ateca oem wipers.

Tosun

Oct 19, 2020
I bought them from Skoda dealer near by.

Have also bought oem wipers from this site, very good prices?

Tell

Staff member
I'm sticking to Bosch :love:. Specific models do fit on different brands since they use the same VAG spec, so yes Skoda parts do fit. Bosch design the parts which is why under the bonnet you read Bosch on pumps and things. The blades are when other manufacturers produce parts to fit on Bosch arms... reckon. I know they designed the Altea blade system which was the first car I had that didn't use the rechargeable blades. That pushed the price up since you replace more with the construction they use now. Possibly why I stick to the Bosch brand. In four years I've only had to change them one which isn't bad on cost.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.