windscreen

dontnoanything

dontnoanything
Jul 19, 2005
gondor
just wondered if any one has noticed if the bottom of there windscreen is going white with so called water ingress to the laminate. i know pilkington say the screens are fine but the seal at the bottom may be causing a problem. not looked at any new toldedos but seen about 10 alteas that are affected. be nice to let seat know if any faults found

bungle

Ours is going cloudy/white at the bottom. I gather this is also a problem on many MkV Golfs also.

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
bungle said:
Ours is going cloudy/white at the bottom. I gather this is also a problem on many MkV Golfs also.
delamination that is lads it means there is water gettin inbetween the layers of glassshould be covered under warrenty if you havnt had a screen fitted yet,work for auto windscreeens so iknow my stuff:lol: take it back to thedealer and tell them you had it checked and thats the prob ,they should bowdown

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
Yep, my 54-plate Sport has large white patches growing at the base of the screen - funny this should be posted because I had never noticed them until the other day when a neighbour pointed them out! He thought it was sealant - I knew otherwise but didn't want to tarnish the VAG reputation!
Yet another Altea problem :-(

jerseyaltea

Cleaning mine today and guess what I have the same 2-3mm strip all along the bottom of the screen. Been to the dealer they have ordered a new screen, no questions asked under warranty.

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
loadswine said:
Checked mine the other day and its got the beginnings of it, only a few mm at the moment.
Is this supposed to spread then?
will spread quiet alot if you dont get it sorted but it also makes the screen weeker

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Yeah it's delamination of the glass, I work for Autoglass and own a new leon, a colleague has an Altea and we both have the same issue. But we'll just change them ourselves :lol: it's a lot less hassle than getting the dealer to do it.

The whole delamination issue is a VAG thing, the OEM glass manufacturers spec has been changed and allows water to sit in the very small gap between the glass edge and the bottom retainer strip.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
loadswine said:
So, if the dealer fits a new screen, what do you reckon the likelihood of a repeat of the same fault? Or are dealers fitting a new spec screen?

It'll just happen again, the dealers are using the OEM part, which is the same as the part fitted at the factory.

I don't know what the answer is to it. as there are no other glass manufacturers making the screens yet.*

There is no real safety issue as long as the white is just a thin line along the bottom, it's just unsightly :(
If it starts to spread further into the glass then, there are "potential" issues of glass layers seperating in a big shunt, but it would have to be the kind of shunt where the screen seperating at the bottom is the last of your worries.

*as far as I know.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
My Altea went in for 10,00 mile service today and the windscreen was changed under the warranty. The dealer also changed the indicator stalk under the warranty as I had reported that on two occasions the cruise control had not worked.

The service manager explained that this was a known fault on early Altea's and the cause was a severe bend on one of the wires in the stalk actually breaking:D:D :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.