Wing mirrors....

seasiders1987

Just a quick question for you all.....

A bus hit my car about 3-4 weeks ago. Been to garage come back and things arnt right. There is still blue paint on the bumper strip from the bus :blink:

Anyways.... the bus took my wing mirror off so the garage "fixed" it.

When they gave me my car back I noticed that when i change the drivers side mirror the passenger mirror moves ASWELL!?!

This didnt happen befor the accident. A guy from Dirlect Line came to inspect my car today to have a look at the faults that the garage didnt fix and he said that vw/seats do this with the wing mirros...

So what does everyone elses wing mirrors do on their tollys....?

Cheers in advance

Dan

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I have just been out to check my mirrors and yes, when my switch is set to the RHS mirror, both mirrors adjust at the same time. If I change my switch over to the left, only the left mirror moves.

I'm sure this pheonomenom happened after I set my left mirror to dip when the car is put into reverse gear, couldn't say for sure though.

Cheers,

Ed

seasiders1987

I'm sure this pheonomenom happened after I set my left mirror to dip when the car is put into reverse gear, couldn't say for sure though.

Cheers,

Ed

Cheers for the help. How do you do that with the reverse gear?? I didnt know about that haha

Dan

Cheshire_Tom

Hi there. My wing mirrors sometimes have a mind of their own too, folding in while driving, and when I use the electric windows. I've got a feeling its to do with the driver's side twist switch. I'm gona try and fix mine, and I'll let you know what I did (if it works). What you describe sounds very similar to my problem.

seasiders1987

Hi there. My wing mirrors sometimes have a mind of their own too, folding in while driving, and when I use the electric windows. I've got a feeling its to do with the driver's side twist switch. I'm gona try and fix mine, and I'll let you know what I did (if it works). What you describe sounds very similar to my problem.

Cheers mate

Cheshire_Tom

I took the drivers side doorcard off and cleaned the connections behind the twist switch. There should be a yellow connector attached to the door card. If you unclip the wires going into it (black adaptor), then take out the white plug from the adaptor and give it a clean with some electrical cleaner, it could solve your problem.

I found a brown liquid inside the connector, adaptor, and plug that shouldn't have been there (like someone had spilt coke on the electric mirror switch). I cleaned this out and the mirrors have stopped misbehaving (folding at 30mph).

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
What you've described is what is supposed to happen..

..according to the tidy sales guy when I bought my Tolly (way back in 2005!) - the passenger side is indepentant but if you move the drivers one, they both move in unison. Apparently it's designed so that if different drivers get in the car - the changes required are kept to a minimum.:blink:

I've read in a few places about the mirrors moving down when selecting reverse but can't get mine to do that - maybe it's model specific (mines a 130 SE 04 plate) or a VAG thing..

..that said, if anyone has a guide in how to set it - i'd be really grateful!!

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
What you've described is what is supposed to happen..

..according to the tidy sales guy when I bought my Tolly (way back in 2005!) - the passenger side is indepentant but if you move the drivers one, they both move in unison. Apparently it's designed so that if different drivers get in the car - the changes required are kept to a minimum.:blink:

I've read in a few places about the mirrors moving down when selecting reverse but can't get mine to do that - maybe it's model specific (mines a 130 SE 04 plate) or a VAG thing..

..that said, if anyone has a guide in how to set it - i'd be really grateful!!

Yes, mines does the dip on the nearside mirror when selecting reverse. 2001 V5 model. I'm sure I got the instructions from the owners manual which I will look out and let you know.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hey I found it on another thread using the search:-

Adjust normal mirrors first and save settings

then

select RH mirror

engage reverse

select LH mirror and adjust to rev only position

select memory button on seat and hold for 3 sec (hear a beep as well i think)

now saved

the reverse position will only activate if the mirror switch is left in RH mode

healy6660

Right Old Giffer
Mar 30, 2007
Cumbria
thats why so many of us can't get the dip mirror with reverse thing
my car(and Dai's as well, I think) don't have memory seats
I think only the V5 had these as standard

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
Exactly that..:doh:

..sat reading the manual and thought.. .."what b****y memory button"! Then read on and found the bit about electric seats - ho hum. I guess my SE doesn't have everything under the sun. :whistle:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yeah sorry guys, probably only the V5 can do this. It's not that great anyway as sometimes it dips when you don't want it to and you have to adjust the switch to set it back. :shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise