Winter Heating

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Hi

I have had a 2012 model Altea XL SE 1.6 Diesel DSG for the last 18 months and the only thing I can fault it on is how long it takes to warm up on cold winter mornings. I believe that an electric powered additional air heating, is or was fitted to some Seat cars but it would seem not mine.

How can I check if my car is fitted with it?

Should it have been fitted?

Can I fit one?

How can I make sure the next Seat has one?

Any help would be great as my current solution is to run a 2kw fan heater and place it on the rear seats facing forward and run that for a few minutes to warm and defrost the windows.

Last when will the Altea come with standard daylight running lights (LED?) and not just a bright bulb and any idea when the pressent model will be replaced?.

Thanks in advance Mike

Last edited:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
There's an auxiliary heater fitted to some VAG models, dunno which ones specifically as it was an option I think on some ranges. It's an electric element heater which fits in near the fan under the dash and cuts in when it's cold. I think the space is already there for it, but the actual heater element may not be fitted. Also there'll be the electrics which need to be fitted to make it work. The heater element costs about £150 for your model (discounts may be available) and then there's the chew on of removing all the dash parts to fit it.

Someone on TDIclub retrofitted one to his car. I've had a quick look but can't find the thread.

It's also possible (but unlikely) that it's fitted but hasn't been enabled in the settings.

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Hi

Thanks, I have gone over the 2012 brochure and the electric element heater is not listed in the equipment availability. I had assumed it would have one as diesel cars take so long to warm up. If it had been listed as an option I would have got it.

Had a look at Seat websites for northern europe and was unable to find it listed their.

Anyone know if the thing comes fitted as standard to any Seat car in the UK?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
It wasn't listed as an option mate. It was either fitted or not, dependant on specification, or which market the car was destined for. VW used to fit them in USA but not Canada for some reason, as Canada would be more likely to need it.

A little work with VCDS would tell you if it's fitted I think.

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Having a look at those 12v 150w plug in fan heaters on Amazon and EBay.

Mind you the 240v 2kw fan heater on the rear seat warms the car up in a few minutes.

It would seem its 240v 2kw fan heater (free) vs 12v 150w windscreen heater "£15" vs several hundred pounds to get what the car should have had in the first place or at the very least listed as an option. :blink:

Last edited:

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
has any one done this ?

as i wouldnt mind a go at doing it , but a bit of knowledge from some one who has is always good

MM

Replaced a Z35 heater on my old mk5 GT TDI as it was standard but failed over time. To be honest I would absolutely not bother doing this as a complete retrofit as it makes almost no difference to getting warm air quickly.

After a couple of miles driving you'll be getting barely lukewarm air, which may be an improvement over freezing air, but not worth it for the hassle.

The guide is for LHD, I had to cut the glovebox bracing to get it out and patch it back together. You're fairly likely to also knock off the flap motor elbow too. The Alea would be pretty similar.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.