winter tyres 225 40 18

rossandjet

Jul 21, 2015
Littleborough
My car is a Leon fr 184 mk3

I have been looking at winter tyres. I don't want to spend a lot on premium tyres as I don't do a lot of miles.

At the moment, I am considering Avon ice touring st . these look good in the wet (cat B) with a noise rating of 70 dbs but the rolling resistance is not so good (catE)

£365 for four fitted at home.

has anyone got any recommendations please??

Thanks

rossandjet

Jul 21, 2015
Littleborough
I have now ordered the Avon ice touring tyres with Event tyres.

I will report on both the tyres and the fitting service at a later date

Arthur

dawsonm2

Sep 22, 2015
I'd be interested to know what you think of these tires.

Can I ask, are you expecting snow where you live or do you just get these for extra grip in the wet? I've never felt the need but have a new FR and keen to ensure good performance during the winter months too.

rossandjet

Jul 21, 2015
Littleborough
Hi
The Pennines have been known to have snow but winter tyres are not just about snow, they improve the stopping power below 7 degrees due to the different composition of the tyres.

I had a Ford Kuga 4wd that had summer tyres on, these were total rubbish in wintery conditions. After I had learned the hard way (I had a bump on ice) I purchased winter tyres, the transformation was amazing.

There are several videos on Utube showing the difference.

As to the tyres I have purchased, I have not been able to try them in the cold yet, but I am ready. I will report as and when.

I was told by the guy who fitted them that most winter tyres are gobbled up by the Countries that HAVE to fit them in winter and the UK tend to get what's left.

My advice for what it's worth is "do it"

Winter tyres are not very good in summer !!!!

I used EVENT TYRES and I was very pleased with the job and so far the tyres.

Last edited:

rossandjet

Jul 21, 2015
Littleborough
Winter tyres? It's the middle of November and 15 degees C outside! :rofl:

You are not wrong in what you say! but it was those no good lying blxxxy weather forecasters that said it was going to be cold starting in October.[:@][:@]

The best weather forecast is when you open the curtains in the morning.:lol:

Having said that, I will have the last laugh, of that I am sure.:);)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.