Winter Tyres and steels for a Freetrack

Dawesy

Hi
I’m going to be putting on a set of winter tyres on my Freetrack, anyone else done this and what did you use?
Planning on getting a set of 16’’ steels and stick some thicker tyres on – is this an OK idea, does the handling change much?

ta

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
First thing, check with your insurers to see if they'll offer cover with different wheels and different rated tyres. They should be okay with it as it's a winter plan for your safety, but best tell them anyway.

After that, I bought a set of the same alloys and fitted winter tyres for 5 months of the year, and swap over after the warmer weather comes back. No issues with the speedo being out or suchlike.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Just to repeat what's already been said, check with your insurer. Mine had no issue with winter tyres, as long as they were manufacturer approved sizes. On the wife's Vectra with its standard 17" wheels, Vauxhall approve a number of 17" or 16" alternatives which the insurers are happy with, so downsizing to an approved 16" wheel and tyre combo made life cheaper. Seat's recommended size winter tyre is the same as the standard specification, so I had no choice but to go for 17" winter tyres; I did speak to a dealer and also to Seat UK's technical people to confirm.

In the end, I bought Sailun winter tyres; far eastern brand, but they're the most popular winter tyre in Canada and north America. Very reasonably priced and I rate them very highly, although not as good as the Continental winters I had on my Audi previously. Then again, they're £100 a tyre less than the Continentals! I'm running the winter tyres on my standard alloys, as the cost of buying steel wheels or a spare set of alloys was prohibitive. Ironically, I was looking for some winter wheels just before looking at your post!

And finally, winter tyres were a revelation when I first got them; my old Audi 80 just ran rings around most 4x4s with their standard tyres. Remember that it's not a license to drive like a nutter; the laws of physics still apply, but handling is just so much better with them and the car feels much more confident with them on.

I'll shut up now!

R.

Dawesy

Cheers for the feedback guys! Looks like a set of 17in tyres on the way soon then.

R. where about are you UP NORF? as there aint many freetracks about. I'm in sunny Northumberland.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Aah; depends on what time of the day it is! I'm near Middlesbrough, but tend to venture around North Yorkshire a lot with work. I did think mine was the only FreeTrack in the area, but have since discovered another in Middlesbrough; last time it was spotted though, it seemed to have been the victim of a prang, as one of the arch mouldings was largely ripped off. Not a happy sight. :(

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
We've run our Freetrack on 16" steelies with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for 3 years or so through the winter. 17" tyres are not a requirement at all.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Buy the smaller diameter wheels and go up in profile by 10 for the same width.

Make sure they are correctly rated for load and (ideally) speed, don't go mad though, you're unlikely to be going 130mph or more on a slushy road.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.