Winter tyres in summer

Diesel184

Apr 29, 2015
Hi. Gonna swap my wheels to get them refurbished and painted. Are there any issues with using winter tyres in summer for a short period, is it dangerous?

Thanks

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
No not dangerous but some insurance companies may have an issue with it.
Next time around get the new Michelin cross climate tyres, very good for all scenarios.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I run my winters right up to the easter break. Could have kept them on a bit longer this year given the hail/snow storm a couple of weeks ago.

Winter tyres are designed for temperatures below 7C, they will wear out quicker at higher temperatures. Mine are only H rated so no autobahn-storming for me.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
No not dangerous but some insurance companies may have an issue with it.
Next time around get the new Michelin cross climate tyres, very good for all scenarios.

Just got a set of these. You like? Really quiet. Do you run then at standard pressures?

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
Michelin cross climate are amazing for what they can are. They don't perform like the Michelin sports on the dry but are still very good. The crazy thing is how they perform in the winter, no need for winter tyres in this country. In places like North Scotland you may still justify the winters, but not down in the south.

The winter tyres won't run out that quickly if used in hotter weather. They performance is the main issue, they won't grip well in comparison to a summer tyre. It's like using a summer tyre in the winter, they don't work well.

Diesel184

Apr 29, 2015
I'm only thinking for a couple weeks while my wheels are being refurbished. Seems like it would be OK maybe they are on a v speed rating so surely they would be OK on the motorway wouldn't they?

The winter tyres won't run out that quickly if used in hotter weather. They performance is the main issue, they won't grip well in comparison to a summer tyre. It's like using a summer tyre in the winter, they don't work well.

Winter tyres are usually made of softer rubbercompounds and have different kind treadsystem to grip the ice better. You should always remember this and also the fact that the winters structure is also usually softer. This makes the tyre to be quite unstable in high speed cornering f.ex when avoiding a deer/moose etc; the tyre might in some cases fold under the wheel and deflate. Also it's very difficult to control in extreme situations like mentioned; you might avoid hitting the animal, but end up spinning off due to the tyre isn't capable of being handled on grippy tarmac. I've seen a video made by the Finnish traffic police and the effects of using lower speed rating tyres than listed on the vehicle registration. It was a passat doing a quick slalom course through cones in dry tarmac. The car was rated for V speed tyres. It was very noticeable when Q winters were under that the whole car slipped into a dangerous sling shot like spin on the second turn and one of the rear tyres deflated... Summers are for summer and winters for winter. Don't know about the Michelin Cross Climates.

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
winter tyres will wear much quicker in higher temperatures due to softer compound.

as long as you drive relatively sensibly while you have them on all it should do is burn your tread a bit faster.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
I'm only thinking for a couple weeks while my wheels are being refurbished. Seems like it would be OK maybe they are on a v speed rating so surely they would be OK on the motorway wouldn't they?

They'll be fine. Even H rated tyres are good for well in excess of 100 mph.

It is hard accelerating, braking and cornering that kills tyres so drive like your granny for the next two weeks and you'll be fine. :)

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I ran continental 850p's for about 1 & half years straight on a BMW e90.
No issues at all whatever the weather and I do 90 miles a day mainly motorway for work.
You might have issues if you have to do any sudden manoeuvre, drive normally and you shouldn't have a problem with it

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Winter tyres in summer are fine, provided the tyres are rated correctly for your car there is no problem.

As for winter tyres wearing quicker at higher temperatures, I don't think that is correct. The thing with winter tyre compounds is, they don't go hard at lower temperatures but that doesn't mean they go soft at higher temperatures.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Winter tyres in summer are fine, provided the tyres are rated correctly for your car there is no problem.

As for winter tyres wearing quicker at higher temperatures, I don't think that is correct. The thing with winter tyre compounds is, they don't go hard at lower temperatures but that doesn't mean they go soft at higher temperatures.

If only that were true. :)

Tyre manufacturers could switch to the magic compound for their summer tyres, instantly turning them into all season tyres with fantastic grip and wear rates in all conditions and motorsport teams would no longer need to pick a tyre compound appropriate for the track temperature.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
If only that were true. :)

Tyre manufacturers could switch to the magic compound for their summer tyres, instantly turning them into all season tyres with fantastic grip and wear rates in all conditions and motorsport teams would no longer need to pick a tyre compound appropriate for the track temperature.

I think you have read more into my post than I said. Obviously a winter tyre will not offer the same level of grip in normal conditions as you would get from a summer tyre. The tread patterns are all wrong for a start.

My point was the tyre is safe to use in the summer, provided the tyre is rated for the speed and load of the vehicle. And they don't go softer as the temperature rises, so rapid wear is not something to be concerned about.

It would stand to reason you would adjust your driving style to suit the tyres if you are using them in the summer.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
What do you all think of summer tyres Vs all season?

As I need 4 new tyres quite soon and I'm unsure if I can get away with summer tyres all year round or if I should "play it safe" and go for all season?

I keep reading multiple articles that summer tyres all year are good enough in the UK (if not up North), but I also found multiple articles saying all season are needed for those cold morning starts where the temperature is below 7 degrees.

Basically I'm reading things from both sides saying they're good.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
I have run two different FWD cars with two different brands of winter tyres and for me the difference is night and day compared to summer tyres.

The chunky tread pattern proves its worth in snow but these opportunities seem to be rarer now. Still worth it for the high silica content rubber in severely frosty/icy conditions in my opinion.

If you have storage space and plan on keeping the car for a reasonable length of time then a set of winter tyres might be worth looking at. Alternatively, if you are not one for track days and/or spirited summer driving then a set of all-seasons might fit the bill.

Our other car is a Citigo on Bridgestone eco tyres. There is not enough weight over the front wheels for winter use on these tyres, it's useless when the frost and snow arrives. I don't have room for a spare set of wheels for this car so it will be getting a set of Goodyear Vector4s when the time comes for new boots.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.