Winter Tyres/wheels advice

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
Just looking for a bit of advice really. Thinking of sticking on some winter tyres this year and dont really fancy sticking them on my 19s so was going to buy some new wheels basically. My question is will 17s fit my cupra or will i need 18s minimum? Also what are peoples experience with winter tyres are they worth it?
Im traveling between Ireland and London over xmas and plenty of driving other than that so all views welcome :):):)

Last edited:

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
If you try winter tyres you will notice a night and day difference to summer tyres when the roads are cold and slippery. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I have 225/40-18 on stock Performance rims.
I chose Continental Contivikingcontact 6, since it is the best tyre for winter in scandinavia, where we have lots of snow and icy roads.
I think that best tyre for UK region would be Nokian WR series, and i would go for Nokian WR A4

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Any recommendations on tyres niggle?

I have had Toyo Snowprox S953s on a Golf and Avon Ice Touring STs on the Leon. I reckon the Toyos just had the edge grip-wise but the Avons were cheaper and wearing quite well considering I don't swap back to summer tyres until the Easter holidays.

If I was doing higher mileage over winter I'd be tempted to pay a little bit more for a set of Continental TS850s or TS860s.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Contiinental TS8xx tyres consistently recommended following group tests in the U.K.

Second that. Have had them fitted last week (T850Ps to be precise). Grip is better (obviously, given the weather) and they are slightly more noisy than the previous Pirelli P Zeros.

However, previously, under strong acceleration with the Pirellis, the differential dragged the car from side to side - quite an adrenaline when overtaking on narrow roads. This is now thankfully gone.

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Just about to pull the trigger on a set of Wolfrace Assassin 18" with some Nokian WR A4's on for the Cupra.

Will post thoughts when I've done a number of miles on them.

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
Thinking im edging towards the 17s now that i've seen them on Trebors car

Trebor what offset etc you running?

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Borbet wheels:
These 17" alloy wheels, ideal for winter, are high quality from German manufacturer Borbet and are produced to OEM specification.

Centre Bore:57.1
Fixings:Use OEM Bolts/Nuts
Material:Alloy
Offset (ET):40
Stud Pattern (PCD):5x112
Wheel Diameter:17"
Wheel Width:8.0"

Tyres: Dunlop Winter Sport 5 91H 225/45/R17

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Did you change your wheels by yourself? Any idea where the jack points are?

Thanks.

ganfarr

May 3, 2016
Fitting my winters to my Cupra ST 290 this week, as winter temperatures arriving up here in Scotland.

Managed to pick a set of cheap 2nd hand replica Audi RS style 18" x 8" alloys and after a bit of tidying up the scrapes and a lick of paint have got some nearly new Goodyear Ultragrip winters fitted.

Any recommendations for tyre pressures from others running 235/40 18's instead of 235/35 19's?

A bit more sidewall for the winter seemed a sensible idea as well as the cheaper availability of wheels and tyres. Did the whole lot for under £500.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise