Winter wheel and tyre for 300 ST

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Morning All
Thinking of getting a winter set-up this year as going to be doing a lot of winter miles for the foreseeable future.

Any advice greatly appreciated- size to go for (18s or 19s, or even 17s ), where you got the best deal, changes to speedo reading etc?

A colleague of mine puts winter tyres on her xdrive 3 series and swears by the improvement in grip etc so if it's not going to break the bank, I'm keen to try it.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
You cannot compare summer and winter tire grip in the cold, wet, snow. In my opinion it is bloody dangerous to drive on summer tires if the temperature is below 4-5 degrees..

I bought some 18" original VW golf rims for my winter tires and ended up with continental ts850p in the recommended 225/40-18 size.

Driving characteristics are pretty different from the 19" summer tires and grip in the cold, wet etc. is as said above not comparable. The only downside is a top speed limited to 240 km/h and that it is significantly more "nervous" at 200+ km/h - but Michelin make higher speed rated tires which should at the same time reduce the "nervousness", but with the trade off being less grip in snow, wet etc..

I guess it all comes down to your driving needs and the area you live in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
You cannot compare summer and winter tire grip in the cold, wet, snow. In my opinion it is bloody dangerous to drive on summer tires if the temperature is below 4-5 degrees..

I bought some 18" original VW golf rims for my winter tires and ended up with continental ts850p in the recommended 225/40-18 size.

Driving characteristics are pretty different from the 19" summer tires and grip in the cold, wet etc. is as said above not comparable. The only downside is a top speed limited to 240 km/h and that it is significantly more "nervous" at 200+ km/h - but Michelin make higher speed rated tires which should at the same time reduce the "nervousness", but with the trade off being less grip in snow, wet etc..

I guess it all comes down to your driving needs and the area you live in..

Thanks for that feedback mate. I live in the northeast and it gets piggin chilly up here in the winter, with occasional snow as a bonus. I tend to take it easier in the winter anyway and if 200km/h is my limit, that's more than enough!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Morning All
Thinking of getting a winter set-up this year as going to be doing a lot of winter miles for the foreseeable future.

Any advice greatly appreciated- size to go for (18s or 19s, or even 17s ), where you got the best deal, changes to speedo reading etc?

A colleague of mine puts winter tyres on her xdrive 3 series and swears by the improvement in grip etc so if it's not going to break the bank, I'm keen to try it.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The winter tyres I have for sale will last you two to three winters easy and I only want £200 cash for them. It's a no-brainer. Speaking from first-hand experience of commuting to Glossop four times a week in the winter over the tops I can tell you the 235/35 R19 Nokian WR D4 are outstanding.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
The winter tyres I have for sale will last you two to three winters easy and I only want £200 cash for them. It's a no-brainer. Speaking from first-hand experience of commuting to Glossop four times a week in the winter over the tops I can tell you the 235/35 R19 Nokian WR D4 are outstanding.

That sounds great, I'll have them from you. I have to come down to Leeds area week after next if that's any good for you? I'm away next week but will be coming past Leeds on the A1 sometime on Friday afternoon. Failing that I might be able to sneak away tomorrow if you'd rather be rid of them sooner (I'm up in N Yorks) Let me know what's best for you.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
That sounds great, I'll have them from you. I have to come down to Leeds area week after next if that's any good for you? I'm away next week but will be coming past Leeds on the A1 sometime on Friday afternoon. Failing that I might be able to sneak away tomorrow if you'd rather be rid of them sooner (I'm up in N Yorks) Let me know what's best for you.

Sent you a PM mate

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.