Wiper coverage.

landsker

The area of the screen on the driver's side is less than adequately swept on the off-side, due possibly to the legacy of an LHD design being adapted for RHD.
On my Alhambra I notice that when parked properly, the wipers are arranged so that the right hand one sits above the left hand one.
This means that if the right hand wiper is adjusted on its spindle to cover the far right of the screen, it won't park properly.
Has anyone tried arranging things so that the right hand wiper sits below the left hand one when parked? I was wondering that if I did that, whether it would be possible to reset the wiper to cover the missed part of the screen so that vision is better there.?
Any thoughts?:help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
Rearranging the park positions of the wipers so that the other one is on top could end up causing a lot of damage to the wipers. The rotors, linkages and cams are set up such that the RH (upper) starts rising first and the LH (lower) starts later but rises quicker so that they both reach the end of travel at about the same time. Then they travel back down, again the LH one going quicker so that it reaches the bottom first and the RH one marginally slower so it parks momentarily later. They are timed so that when the lower wiper sweeps up, it does not collide with the upper one, which is quite a feat if you think about it.

So, altering the starting positions of the wipers could interfere with all that. I used to have a Zafira and just had to put up with the screen not wiping fully to the right on the drivers side. Now I have an Altea where the pro-LH drive wipers leave an arc of wetness in the driver's field of vision :(

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
on my 54 plate the left hand wiper (passenger) is on the top

which is different from the way you describe,, are there 2 versions??

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
there is a way to do it in principle as I have done it on a couple of classics

lollypop sticks & rulers and modding the 1st spindle arm to flip 180 is the way but it's a proper suck it and see trial and error routine

maybe not so easy on a more modern car

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
swapped wipers over on my Alhambra 5 years ago so that right hand wiper now parks on top and have had no problems with either wiper blades or mechanism. When I bought the car the left hand wiper was uppermost - ran it like this for a while and had no problems with the wipers "crashing".

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.