Wipers getting stuck half way?

adam23

Jan 10, 2008
Hi All,

Mr brother alhambras wipers are not working properly, they start to move when switched but get stuck half way. He took the car to a local indie and the guy said its the motor? The confusing thing is that if it was the motor why are the wipers still moving at all?

Having searched the forum people have suggested that it could be the seized linkages etc? Has anyone had the same problem. His vehicle is a 2005 model. Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks. Adam

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
HI
Siezed linkages is a common problem with these wipers, mine did it after I had the vehicle for 3 years. My remedy was to take the linkeages off the car and free the shafts up ( they tend to rust down the spindle tubes ) then smear copper grease on the shafts when rebuilding. I have not had any problems since. Beware that if the shafts are siezing then the linkeages can snap. I would do this "fix" as a matter of course because if they have not yet siezed they will eventually. It may also be worth trying to "force" some releasing fluid down the spindle shafts ASAP.

adam23

Jan 10, 2008
Hi 90landrover,

Thanks for the advice. My brother took it to his local indie & worked on it himself, the mechanic wasn't interested as it takes too long and it wasn't worth for them working on it, but let him use his tools to do the work himself. The mechanic told him that they have been advising other customers to buy a new motor & linkages as it takes too long to take everything apart.

Anyway brother spent 4 hours and free'd up the spindle, then sanded it down taking all the rust out, the linkages were fine, swell as the motor. He then coated it with loads of copper grease, then reassembled it all together. A fidley job, took off other parts to get the wiper mechanism out easily.

So advice is if your ok with DIY mechanics have a go and save yourself some money. He spent £3.50 on son wd40, which he left at the garage. The copper grease & tools free from to use from the garage. The mechanic reckons he would have charge £150 to do the work!

Thanks. Adam

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members