Wipers

@JamesSM

Jul 26, 2013
I had to have my windscreen replaced yesterday thanks to the state of the UK's roads.

To do the job, obviously the wipers needed to be removed. Now, I'm not sure whether I've got this wrong but I was sure that when you pulled down on the wiper lever it did one quick swipe. After driving the car with the new windscreen, when I pull down on the wiper lever it does one slow swipe. If you hold it down then it goes fast.

A check of the manual reveals "Brief press, short clean. Hold the lever down for more time to increase the wipe frequency".

Can someone clarify whether I'm losing my marbles or not?!

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
out of interest did you get your windscreen done through insurance or by yourself/ if by yourself how much did it cost?

@JamesSM

Jul 26, 2013
out of interest did you get your windscreen done through insurance or by yourself/ if by yourself how much did it cost?

Through my insurance - there was a £65 excess (reduced to £25 if it was repairable, which is clearly wasn't going to be given the 4-5" crack).

Auto Windscreens did the repair and they picked up the glass direct from Pilkington on the day of the job. It's exactly the same windscreen that was in originally - the only difference is Pilkington black out the SEAT logo!

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
I am pretty confused by your question to be honest. But I also don't see how changing your windscreen can change the mechanics of your wipers?

If you just press down and release, it goes slowly. If you keep pressing it down the speed will increase partway through the first stroke and keep going fast until you release the lever.

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
its possible if they don't do it correctly that the camera and rain sensor aren't 'glued' on properly to the new windscreen that you get strange behaviour from various systems.

Last edited:

@JamesSM

Jul 26, 2013
I am pretty confused by your question to be honest. But I also don't see how changing your windscreen can change the mechanics of your wipers?

If you just press down and release, it goes slowly. If you keep pressing it down the speed will increase partway through the first stroke and keep going fast until you release the lever.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I know that changing the wipers can't change the mechanics of the wipers, but given the rain sensor device had to be removed/refitted and the fact that I felt sure one press gave a single quick wipe, I just wanted to double-check with other people how the single press operates on their cars.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Okay, I getcha. I didn't even think about the rain sensor as I don't have it myself.

As I explained before, one quick press on it and I get a slow wipe, hold it down and half a second in it speeds up and keeps going fast until I let go, then it slows and stops at the end of that swipe. So if I am overtaking a lorry and there is spray, I can go fast for the 3-4 seconds it takes to overtake him.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.