wishbone removal

richardc

May 26, 2007
Surrey
Have a 2002 Toledo 1.9SE.
Have just replaced the antiroll bar bushes and link arm bushes with polybushes, and what a difference, much tighter and feels great.

Went to replace the front wishbone bushes but hit a snag, cannot remove the wishbone. Have read on a forum that after removing bolts the lower ball joint should slide out of the wishbone end. Tried this but the driveshaft does not appear to have enough movement. Is this me not being forceful or do you need to release the driveshaft from the gearbox. Have searched several forums but have found no clear instructions.

Also replaced the dogbone bushes, with lots of initial vibration, will have to see what happens over next week.

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
the big nut at the end of the driveshaft needs to be removed. pull the whole hub towards you, this will let the wishbone move from its mounting points.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I managed to change the wishbone on the passenger side on my V5 without removing the driveshaft. It was a bit of a fiddle though. I have yet to do it on the other side as one of the bolts holding the wishbone on will not undo no matter what. Got to find the time to cut through the old bush and the bolt to release it! Before I start doing that, any advice on this?

richardc

May 26, 2007
Surrey
Is the bolt just turning because I have read that the front bush bolt has a welded captured nut in side the wishbone, that has been known to break free. There is some info on other forums, I remember the TDI club especially.
Have not changed my front bushes yet as the drive shaft removal is not a job I am in the mood for yet. I am wary of pulling and pushing the drive shafts as I had a problem on my wifes 206 where the drive shaft came out of the gearbox, dumping the oil on the garage floor. I know the cars are different but it makes you be carefull.
Have changed the antiroll bar bushes and link arms and am very impressed.
Also fitted poly dogbone bush and after a week it has now begone to settle down. Very high vibration especially reversing out of the garage.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
HI, The bolt will not turn at all. I have tried the nut on the top and that won't budge either. I can undo every other bolt on the wishbone including the ball joint bolts and I can slide the wishbone out of that, so I reckon you can do the job without touching the driveshaft. Getting everything out is fairly easy. Its the getting it back in thats the problem, but it is possible and took me about 5 min's of back and forth before it all went in.

richardc

May 26, 2007
Surrey
have you tried wire brushing the thread above the nut and then a good soaking with penetrating oil (wd40 works). Have had problems in past with this and a dremel with wire brush worked well. I found that the nut bound up on the dirt and locked on.
Might try mine again some time. Have been informed on service that the bush is perishing on the shoulder but not causing a problem. May wait until MOT and see what happens.

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
i presume its the rear bush when u say the nut on top. try wd40, and socket and ratchet, place a bar over the ratchet for extra leverage!

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Its not the rear. Its the front offside on the rear bush. The bush is on its last legs and as I've done the other side, and done the struts and springs on both, I'd like to get it sorted sooner rather than later. I'll give the wire brush & wd40 a go and see where that gets me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members