Wishbones

Cupra Tommy

Dec 29, 2010
Ticehurst, East Sussex
Quick question,
How can u tell if the front wishbones need changing,??? as to be honest I've only really ever changed them on my old golf because it failed mot on them!!

Cheers

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
i'd change the wishbone only if i twatted the kerb or similar.
now wishbone bushes....get it up in the air and have a poke around for play?

Cupra Tommy

Dec 29, 2010
Ticehurst, East Sussex
Ok cheers,just I'm getting a vibration through the steering wheel at about 50mph and I've had all the alloys checked for roundness and had them balanced,just wondering maybe that the bushes are worn an that's what causing it??

Cupra Tommy

Dec 29, 2010
Ticehurst, East Sussex
They the same wishbones! The mk2 ibiza is the same as the mk2 golf

I know there same wishbone,I had a mk3 though,so looked identical except were about an inch longer!!
But I only changed those because I had too,to pass my MOT!! So it wasn't because I noticed something wrong with them!! So I'm just wondering as to what I should be looking out for?? If u get me

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
As old'uns said, changing wishbones is only done if they've been physically damaged, as they are just a lump of metal. The wishbone bushes on the other hand could probably do with being changed if you've done decent mileage.

But bushes won't cause a vibration at speed, that's more likely to be wheels (which you've checked) or brake discs. When was the last time they were changed?

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I have had a problem with the steering playing under full load when I fitted my polyflex bushes. Turned out the rear bush wasn't fitted tidy and had a lot of play! So worn bushes could cause steering problems.

Basically driving with no throttle (down a hill) the steering would be fine until I put my foot down and the wishbone would actually pull back!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Only reason, I had my wishbones with polyflex bushes fitted already off eBay new £80 for the whole lot!

But if bushes are worn it's just changing them not the actual wishbone. Like it's already been said unless you have a bump you never really need to change the actual wishbone.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Cheers,tho Ill probably just buy a new wishbone with bushes already fitted as I don't have access to a hydraulic press to put new bushes in,plus its not as much hassle lol

Yep, that's a perfectly valid approach. A garage would probably do the same, any extra cost for the wishbone itself is offset by the much reduced labour costs. You don't really need a press though, it can be done without.

Check whether the new wishbones come with new balljoints or not. It's not hugely necessary, but you'll want to know what bolts you're removing.

Cupra Tommy

Dec 29, 2010
Ticehurst, East Sussex
Well its £4 extra to get the wishbones with balljoints,and as I've just replaced both front wheel bearings I know that the ball joint clamp bolt is going to be easy to get off,so for piece of mind i might aswell swap it them over for new joints!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.