Would a Altea FR be suitable?

Haunts

Sep 13, 2010
So i have a MK1 LCR but now we need something more family friendly, i got away with keeping the LCR when we had one child but now we have 2 the Mrs wants something with more space.
I'm thinking about getting an Altea FR because it will still have a bit of poke but i keep reading about the DPF. I drive about 4 miles to work everyday and back so 8 miles a day, would this be enough to keep the DPF clear?

hMeco

Mar 21, 2015
Denmark
well that subject has been discussed tons of times and still a good question.
I personaly have lended my car out to my GF, and she has the same driving as you, but she has orders on preheating the car minimum 5 min every morning she drives off, and if she hassent been driving in the car whole day, then a preheat in the evenings before she goes to works aswell.

addidtionaly i add bell add city to my tank, it helps on the fuel burning and keeps things clean, aspecially helps DPF to stay "clean"..

I dont think that this is an issue in the newer cars like the "older" diesel models.

- hMeco

fellowgecko

Apr 21, 2015
Lincoln
Can't say about the diesel model, but my petrol FR only gets short school runs through the week, and still drives lovely at the weekend.

hMeco

Mar 21, 2015
Denmark
Ive never driven a petrol model, but it would not supprise me if it runs good and smooth, it is a VW engine and that is definetly what they do best.

FR Diesel, has common issues with injectors and Turbo, if its a 2nd hand your about to buy make sure that services are up 2 date, and if you look in the back of the service book it should state if injectors has been changed or not.

HFStuart

Nov 24, 2006
My wife has run an Altea FR (08 plate) for 4 years and around 40k miles.

Other than a Turbo sensor and her reversing into a skip (not really the car's fault) there have been no issues. She uses it for the school run for work (3 miles away) but we also use it as the family car and the longer runs at the weekend probably help.

NB I had a Mk2 Leon FR TDi - I think the Altea is quicker!

Last edited:

kevlaa

Altea Stylance / Arona FR Evo
Oct 12, 2010
s.wales
Well I went from a mk1 cupra r to a 1.9 altea stylance but bought fr bumpers alloys and lowered in on eibach pro springs, fr looks stylance running costs :)

RadCordy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Not sure why it hasnt been mentioned but if you are changing for more space, the altea boot isnt much bigger than a mk1 leon. It just has more depth. The rear seat room is huge though, you can actually get your legs in!

kevlaa

Altea Stylance / Arona FR Evo
Oct 12, 2010
s.wales
No I want to but it being a bxe engine I don't want to risk it throwing a leg out under extra load. I'll keep the car another year or so as I'm planning on buying a house next year then I'll buy something with more power :)

HFStuart

Nov 24, 2006
Not sure why it hasnt been mentioned but if you are changing for more space, the altea boot isnt much bigger than a mk1 leon. It just has more depth. The rear seat room is huge though, you can actually get your legs in!

The rear seats slide forward too remember. That makes a surprising difference if you need the boot space and don't have adults in the back seats. The under floor storage bit can swallow a lot of stuff too - it's where our boots & waterproofs usually go.

RadCordy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
The rear seats slide forward too remember. That makes a surprising difference if you need the boot space and don't have adults in the back seats. The under floor storage bit can swallow a lot of stuff too - it's where our boots & waterproofs usually go.

They dont seem to slide on my 2012 model! Cost cutting I bet!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise