Would you expect changing wheel to exaggerate Wheel Bearing noise?

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Hi all,

Would you guys expect changing a wheel to exaggerate wheel bearing noise ?

For a while now, I have heard a slight noise from what I think is my front left hand wheel bearing, even in a straight line on the motorway. Not sure really!

My dealer once told me it was only tyre noise !

Yesterday, I swapped front to back wheels over as the fronts are getting a bit low and the rears are really good.

Thing is, on the way to work this morning, the noise from the front left hand wheel (I think) is a lot lot worse!

So, I stopped and put the spare steel wheel on, and the noise appears to be back to what is was before I swapped things around..

Still a slight whine, but no where near as bad as it was earlier this morning.

I have done a quick search, and not found much information on wheel bearings other than noise on right hand turns and what a pig they are to change.

So why would changing the wheels around produce far more noise.

I do need to get the bearing tested out and replaced, but am interested why the extra noise after swapping things around, and less noise when I put on the spare ?

Dodgy wheel maybe ?
BTW, the car has done 100k+ and never had a wheel bearing.

Ta.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
could be the balance on the wheels is causing the bearing to pull more to one side resulting in a louder rumble, easiest way to tell is to jack up wheel in question and rock it (whilst still fastened to the hub) with hands at 12 and 6 oclock, if its moves even slightly a bearing is required

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Sounds like it could well be a bearing, but yes - swapping the wheels would make a difference.

Tyres form their own tread print after a while. Imagine your front wheels are set with a small amount of toe-in

/ ---- \

l ---- l

(back tyres more or less facing straight on)

After a few miles, you start to scrub a pattern across the front tyres and it all settles out ... if you then stick a back wheel on the front, the process starts all over again.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Cheers for the info guys...

I have been to Inde-tech this afternoon, top place !

The guys there have told me that the tyre is knackered, well shot..

The thing has become mis shaped, and has a very strange wear pattern.
Think it may of been damaged at some point in its life.

So, when on the back it sounded ok, when on the front it droned like a good un..

So put it back on the back then ;-)

No chance, 4 new tyres on order, being fitted on Saterday..

Thanks

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Right then, I now have 4 new tyres on my Tolly..

Question is, I showed the knackered tyre to the fitter and he confirmed the thing was mis shaped, but he also said it had worn in a strange way while on the back, probably due to knackered shock absorbers..
The other tyre of the back had also worn the same way.

So my question is, are rear shockers on a Tolly a DIY job for a fairly handy DIY'er or is it a garage job ?

I can get the shockers for about 75 quid the pair from my local GSF..

Last thing I want is for my new tyres to go the same way as the old ones..

Ta.