would you need up swap the ecu or could it be mapped

crossedmike

if an abf was to be turboed would the ecu need to be swapped to a mega squirt or after market one or could it just be mapped i wondered this

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yep even if you want to run your NOS correctly the standard ECU isn't ideal!

I've DTA S40 Pro I think.... I've seen a lot of people using megasquirt on Club GTi, all depends on your budget! And trying to find a mapper that likes megasquirt!

Best way to decided is find somewhere you want to take you car to be mapped and ask what make of engine management they prefer to use.

crossedmike

new ecu... theres nothing in an ABF ecu to read or regulate boost
wouldnt go with mega squirt tho...
try get a second hand ecu thats a better known make.
They all use 'standard sensors' to input to the ecu... mega squirt wouldnt me my personal choice :D

i realised with the abf ecu was no map for the turbo hence a remap but thats really just for mapping standard parts

any recomendations for ecu brands or type

saw you was selling some forged internals yours still running ok

crossedmike

Yep even if you want to run your NOS correctly the standard ECU isn't ideal!

I've DTA S40 Pro I think.... I've seen a lot of people using megasquirt on Club GTi, all depends on your budget! And trying to find a mapper that likes megasquirt!

Best way to decided is find somewhere you want to take you car to be mapped and ask what make of engine management they prefer to use.

yes the mapping and running in i would conssider taking to a place so they can roling road map it as well to make sure runs ok

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
DTA, Omex or Emerald will all be suitable for what you want. A cheaper option is megasquirt. Have a look on clubgti, for a price toyotec on there will build you a megasquirt setup and sort you a base map. He has turbo'd his own abf as well.

There are ways to chip the standard ecu to allow boost to be used, but the cost of it will be more than buying a standalone.

crossedmike

DTA, Omex or Emerald will all be suitable for what you want. A cheaper option is megasquirt. Have a look on clubgti, for a price toyotec on there will build you a megasquirt setup and sort you a base map. He has turbo'd his own abf as well.

There are ways to chip the standard ecu to allow boost to be used, but the cost of it will be more than buying a standalone.

ye suj recomended toyotec i think on my facebook im just future planning im collecting parts at moment then will put into practise thru winter as will keep me off the icy roads and risk writing car off best way i see :p

xr2wishitwere

i'd go for somethign off the shelf myself as megasquirt can be a real pain, i know i run an MS2 unit in my xr2, fine for WOT, but a pain to map for cruising.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
This is why it's easiest to map steady states on a load based dyno not on the road. Good mapping costs alot and it is a worthwhile cost to note when planning any build like this.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
toyotec or n9ndo off ed38/cgti have done turbo'd ABF's and SC'd too (IIRC toyo is doing one atm)

not gonna be cheap, but can be worth it, esp if turbo'd, the power you can get from low boost is amazing, better than just shoving in a 20vt, but alot of work like I said, and money :p

xr2wishitwere

na he has a 4wd mk1 caddy, running a vr6 turbo (450+bhp) he fabricates everything himself :)

sounds like me, made everything myself on my xr2, just fitted/modified my backbox on the cupra, screw paying for reducers and fitting lol!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members