write-off

arny25

some t wat reversed into my rear quarter :clap:and insurance are writing it off:-o
how do they value it s reg 8v black ?
can i put it back on the road ?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
rear quarter is a PITA :( (can be done, but I guess the expense against the cars age was the clincher..)

mine was a rear end smack.. not too much work to get sorted ( most of it sorted by gettting a replacement bootlid)

arny25

hav pics yes but they are at work
its not dead bad but would have be a new panel, garage said over a grand

arny25

hav pics yes but they are at work
its not dead bad but would have be a new panel, garage said over a grand

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Unfortunately if the cost of the repair is more than 60% of the value of the car, they'll right it off. So repairs over a grand means the car would need to be worth more than £1700 for them to do it.

You can agree to buy the salvage from them (they'll want 35 - 40% of the book value for it) and then repair it yourself. However your car will likely have a Category D or possibly C recorded against it in the insurance register which means future resale value will be 60 - 70% of a normal car.

In summary, a lot of hassle. So I'd go for a decent settlement - argue, argue and argue with the insurance co. They will keep arguing back but will back down, eventually. Get some samples off Autotrader of same age/mileage/condition cars as proof of the cars value. It may take a couple of weeks of daily argumentative phone calls but they will settle for a decent value eventually. You have to remember the whole process isn't there to make your life easy - it is there to make the insurance company shareholders money. Hence they will try to get away with paying you the least possible by making the process frustrating so that people give up and accept whatever has been offered.

Last edited:

arny25

thanks jcs356
should be looking for bout a grand then.
woohoo hardly gooing buy me a decent replacement
feel a bit gutted now was hoping to upgrade but probs going end up with a banger now

one more thing, when will i have to give the hire car back can i keep using seat untill they send me cheque or what ?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
thanks jcs356
should be looking for bout a grand then.
woohoo hardly gooing buy me a decent replacement
feel a bit gutted now was hoping to upgrade but probs going end up with a banger now

one more thing, when will i have to give the hire car back can i keep using seat untill they send me cheque or what ?

Well if they hit you its until your claim is settled. If you get for your car what others are for sale at just go out and buy another GTi ;)

arny25

was thinking that but could use an estate to be honest gonna miss the cupra but think the neighbours will be happy
exhaust is a tad loud

arny25

so its been given a cat d write-off and they have let me keep it and theres a cheque in the post for 1300
that,l do for me
dunno what do with car now as i got my eyes on a scooby

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.