Written Off

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
If you cant agree with their offer, bargain hard for the car as part settlement. You could then put the engine etc into another shell or sell it for parts.

It sucks mate, it happened to me a couple of times in the UK and I always demanded the salvage back. At least you get something then.

Good Luck

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
So when you demanded the car back did you have to buy it back? Or did they give it together with the payout as a total? I'd ask if they gave it free but I know 'free' and 'insurance' don't mix.

jatinder

Looking for a job member
Aug 15, 2005
Clayhall, Essex
Thats very unlucky mate, hopefully they will see the good side as it was looking clean and tidy and give you a fair bit more, I doubt they will fix it, more likely write it off, but you could buy it off the insurance company and repair it yourself, i did the same thing for my nova and bought it off the insurance for £15!! It cost 1000 quid to repair, and they gave me £1785 for it, so I made 700 quid.
Keep your chin up mate :beer:

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Just a quick note about haggling over settlement costs...

I found myself in a similar situation a few years ago and refused their first offer. Note that once an offer has been made, the clock often starts ticking regarding how long they will provide a courtesy car. In my case, it was 7 days after the offer was made - regardless of whether you accepted the offer or not. We spent a couple of days haggling over the repacement cost of the car, which was all eating into the 7 days.

By time i'd beaten them up to a realistic market valuation, the numbers looked rather different, and cost of the repairs was just less than 60% of the settlement cost, so they ended up repairing it rather than writing it off.

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I used to buy back my Polo and rebuild it into a new shell often, back in the 90s. I got through about 5 of em. No accidents were my fault.

The buyback is part of the settlement, but they usually sell the smashed car to a wrecker or an auction for a few hundred quid, so you can come out in front. As hopkinsgm says haggle and argue, but you will have to give the courtesy car back.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
Well the update on the insurance saga...

Initial amount i was offered was a (laughable) £800... eventually after much back and forth-ness I got this up to £1500, after providing evidence from autotrader and internet etc of how much a replacement would cost me.
Also getting £350 for minor whiplash, travel expenses to see replacement cars and little things like that.
So in total, £1850 which I'm pretty happy with to be fair. Keep in mind I only paid a grand for the car in the first place :D

Found myself a replacement, another '98 1.9 tdi with 85000 miles and recaro interior, very well looked after, for £1200 with years tax&MOT, although it's in a green/turqoise type colour which I'm not overly keen on so might look into a smoothing+respray job sometime.

Oh, and my courtesy car was a rather fetching Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 :cry: totally unsexy when you're 21 lol

Just thought I'd fill you guys in if anyone was bored/interested!

Mckellar

well done mate, good to see you back on your feet with another beeza.
pitty its not red, eh :p

good luck and keep us up-to-date
D.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
haha yeh the new colour's growing on me though. I didn't buy the old car back just due to the hassle of transport and finding a space for it at home etc but i stripped out a lot from inside before they took it away (sssh!) :D
Going for the euro feel again with this one, get some nice wide polished rims on and have it clean and subtle on the outside... just waitin for a cash injection now though, my poor student bank account can't take any more abuse! :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise