Xenon headlamps

nfot

The Greek connection !
Nov 18, 2001
Greece
Visit site
I 've been to the site mentioned above and it is quite clearly stated that this kit is for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY ", so it is totally out of the question.
The closest solution to xenon, that I reached at, are Phillips' Vision Plus bulbs. H7 won't be a great difference but H1 will be a great improve (that's where my research has gone). I am trying to locate them in Volos-GREECE (where I live) and will let you know of the real stuff.

prc

Sooty Meister
Waiting to See...

I personally have the Autolamp kit ready to go on the car (this wensday). If the Xenon does become available, I will definitely order the headlights.
I've done quite a bit of research on the Xenon upgrade, there's alot involved for a legal Xenon upgrade (including alot of $$$$).
1- The headlamp itself $$$$
2- The balast, wiring looms, and lamps (about 500-600 euros).
3- Headlamp washing system (mandatory EU regulation).
This is car specific.
4- Auto-leveling system (mandatory EU reg), also car specific but I've heard that Hella was coming out with a universal model.

One thing I do know is that Seat has not responded to any of the 3 e-mails I sent them concerning the availability of the HID/Xenon headlamp for the Leon/Toledo.

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Re: Waiting to See...

Originally posted by prc
I personally have the Autolamp kit ready to go on the car (this wensday). If the Xenon does become available, I will definitely order the headlights.
I've done quite a bit of research on the Xenon upgrade, there's alot involved for a legal Xenon upgrade (including alot of $$$$).
1- The headlamp itself $$$$
2- The balast, wiring looms, and lamps (about 500-600 euros).
3- Headlamp washing system (mandatory EU regulation).
This is car specific.
4- Auto-leveling system (mandatory EU reg), also car specific but I've heard that Hella was coming out with a universal model.

One thing I do know is that Seat has not responded to any of the 3 e-mails I sent them concerning the availability of the HID/Xenon headlamp for the Leon/Toledo.

Thinking out loud :) but the autolamps conversion just plugs in yes? Leon's have got "Headlights with electric adjustment" (not quite auto but...) and mines coming with headlamp washers (i think).
Prolly being dumb but i'm interested in putting Xenon on mine..

Tdi 110

Toledo 20VT Sport
Oct 8, 2001
Hoddesdon, Herts
Visit site
Trouble is, it must be auto leveling as Xenon headlamps are very bright if not adjusted. I suspect it is also part of the MOT test to check the adjuster works ok.
I read on the Hella webpage the reasons for the auto lamp levelling and washer system.
When the glass gets dirty it deflects the light in different directions, which explains why I get flashed by oncoming cars when my lights are dirty!!! The Auto level is required as the Xenon beam is both longer, wider and more defined, I think the auto level takes into account the dipping of the rear of the car on acceleration. I suspect if you get dazzled by a Xenon lamp you'd be in quite a lot of pain, and definatly be blinded for a good few seconds compared to normal lamps.....

Also, being as the lamps in question are designed for off- road use only, I suspect the beam etc would not be correct for road use....

prc

Sooty Meister
Actually the beam patern comes out very good on the leon/toledo. There is two small hotspots when looking at the light spread on the ground. I've got the lights down to a bit more than 1.2% (1.2% is stock). Have only been flashed a couple of times (coming over crests) and once with dirty headlights.
I personally suspect that the "off road only" has nothing to do with the bulbs themselves, but with the lenses that there behind. Some of the free form headlights (the one with clear lenses like the leon) do not have the reflector cap in the middle of the lens (the leon/toledo do), turning impossible to use these kits. Some other headlamps cause alot of glare when used with higher wattage bulbs (therefore producing MEGA-glare if used with the XENON kit.

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
Please excuse me for being dumb, but what is the point of making washers mandatory if it still requires the driver to operate them? Surely they don't have dirt detectors built in these days!

Tdi 110

Toledo 20VT Sport
Oct 8, 2001
Hoddesdon, Herts
Visit site
Originally posted by LEO LION R
Please excuse me for being dumb, but what is the point of making washers mandatory if it still requires the driver to operate them? Surely they don't have dirt detectors built in these days!

Its worse than that..... I've never understoud why the lamp washers only work when the lights are on...... surely it should wash them every time you wash the windscreen, as thats when they will be dirty too..... am I wrong??

PRC, any chance of a picture??

prc

Sooty Meister
Originally posted by Tdi 110

Its worse than that..... I've never understoud why the lamp washers only work when the lights are on...... surely it should wash them every time you wash the windscreen, as thats when they will be dirty too..... am I wrong??

PRC, any chance of a picture??

I'll have some pics as soon as I can get a friend of mine over (he drives a Leon) for some comparison pic.

The lamp washers only work when the lights are on? I always thought they worked with the windscreen wash independently of wheather the lights where on or not. Anyway I think it's all BS! I don't think the lamp washer can take flies and very dry dirt from the lamp.

prc

Sooty Meister
Finally Available.........

Left my car at the dealership today for some warranty work. One of my complaints was misting headlights. After taking found out the the HID headlights are finally available for the LEON/TOLEDO.
The guy's at the dealership where extremely helpfull and gave me a great deal. After speaking with the Portugues importer they will allow me to upgrade the headlights (Of course I'll have to wait 2 months for them) to the HIDs and only pay the price difference (146 euros).

Tdi 110

Toledo 20VT Sport
Oct 8, 2001
Hoddesdon, Herts
Visit site
Re: Finally Available.........

Originally posted by prc
Left my car at the dealership today for some warranty work. One of my complaints was misting headlights. After taking found out the the HID headlights are finally available for the LEON/TOLEDO.
The guy's at the dealership where extremely helpfull and gave me a great deal. After speaking with the Portugues importer they will allow me to upgrade the headlights (Of course I'll have to wait 2 months for them) to the HIDs and only pay the price difference (146 euros).

prc, When you say "HID", it this just new bulbs, or complete projector lenses with Gas Discharge?? i.e, like Audi A6...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members