xenon headlamps????

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
hello, i was wondering if they do a rhd spec xenon headlamps for the ibiza (cupra) i love xenons but haven seen an ibiza with them ever!!! seat main web site says they are an optional extra at £690! but i also heard that they are lhd spec only? can anyone enlighten me?>?? :confused:

gazjones

saw a pair on an fr at my local seat delers and its a rhd obviously sp there are avaliable but dont think they are cheap as aftermarket replacements

Stephen O

May 4, 2004
Manchester
I wouldnt bother personally, although they look good. Have you seen the price of a replacement bulb! The best part of £100....ouch!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes you can get them in RHD, 'cos I have them on mine :)

StephenO -> Yes the bulbs are pricey but you should never have to change them. You can usually find replacements on Ebay and other outlets if you need to though.

IIRC someone else on here upgraded to the OEM Xenons a little while ago - can't remember who now....anyone else remember ? Was it our friend in Mexico ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Just to add - as orca says, the OE fitted ones also come with headlamp washers (technically required to be legal with HIDs), if you wanted to add these you'd be looking at a bigger washer bottle, different bumper, and the pipework/jet system....whether you choose to be fully legal is up to you :)

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
muddyboots said:
you'd be looking at a bigger washer bottle

Dont want to jump intro the thread, but could we put these bigger washer bottles into our cars? I knowwwww its lazy,

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I don't see why not, they are fitted as standard to cars with HID lights/headlamp washers. They may have an extra outlet or something that may need blanking off if you're not feeding headlamp washers.

You'd need to get hold of some ETKA diagrams to know for sure.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
i didnt think the xenons where an option on the cupra ibiza, plus on etka there is only one type of front bumper for the cupra , surely if xenons were optional thered be two bumpers(one for headlight washers),

(edit) seat.co.uk says xenons arent an option on ibiza cupra s

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
stoneyfordNI said:
(edit) seat.co.uk says xenons arent an option on ibiza cupra s
I was speaking to someone a few weeks ago and apparently the reason you can't have them on the Cupras is because the pipes for the FMIC are in the way of where all the bits for the headlight washers would be.

Not sure how true this is though.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
i could believe it , if i can remember andys install (cpufreak) of the seat sport cooler , there was a flat black pipe the whole way along the top of the crash bar , as u say , where all the washer stuff would be

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
yes that is the reason,

Secondly think of the weight, all that extra water and solenoids for the washers, at least 2 bhp per tonne loss!!!

although i am after some xenons again, so orca better lock his away or i'll be unbolting his.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mrcoyote said:
I was speaking to someone a few weeks ago and apparently the reason you can't have them on the Cupras is because the pipes for the FMIC are in the way of where all the bits for the headlight washers would be.

Not sure how true this is though.
Yes that sounds right, the pipes for the headlight washers pass right across the front of the radiator area. The support brackets for the washers themselves may also get in the way of the IC pipework.

mexicupra

Jul 5, 2005
was Cambridge now Mexico
Hi guys, i fitted xenon head lights to my cupra. Just to re itterate a few things that i found out. The washer system is NOT included with the head lights if you buy them from a dealer. They are NOT a necessary part for the lights to work and it does not effect the life of them, its a UK law that states that xenon lights need washers due to them getting dirty and blinding on coming drivers. Cupras do not have them as an option simply due to the fact that the cupra bumper doesnt have the holes cut out for them to be able to pop up, as there IS space behind....just! And yes they are very expensive to buy from the dealer, i did a deal with a friend that was just about to buy an ibiza sport, i asked to get it with xenons and i would pay for the difference, works out to be a third of the price if you get them factory fitted. hope this helps and clears up a few things

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members