XL vs. Regular tyres?

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am now looking to get myself some winter tyres and decided to go with the Nokian WR D4 or A4, what I noticed is that the XL rated tyres are cheaper than the regular 91 load index. So I was wondering is there some reason for that, are they in any way worse than the regular ones, also should I expect any difference in ride and handling if I go for the XL?

Just always thought that the XLs would cost more than regular and it got me wondering.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I am now looking to get myself some winter tyres and decided to go with the Nokian WR D4 or A4, what I noticed is that the XL rated tyres are cheaper than the regular 91 load index. So I was wondering is there some reason for that, are they in any way worse than the regular ones, also should I expect any difference in ride and handling if I go for the XL?

Just always thought that the XLs would cost more than regular and it got me wondering.

I have Nokian WR D4. Incredible tyres.

No idea on the load thingy. XL sounds familiar though.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
XL = Xtra Load and so will have additional tyre wall strengthening and thickening of the tyres face under the tread. XL's are designed for performance cars so I'd only fit XL's personally.

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
For anything that can even be remotely considered "performance related" always go XL.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

You don't say what car you are going to fit them to as this would make a difference.

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
You don't say what car you are going to fit them to as this would make a difference.

It is a 1.8TSI 5DR, so I don't think they would make much difference, just read in a couple of places that they are a bit more noisy than the regulars and the ride is firmer. So that's what I was thinking are the XLs that much more uncomfortable, is it worth as a sacrifice having in mind that they are initially a bit cheaper and should last longer.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just consider that SEAT fit and specify the XL rated tyres on many of it's cars.

Check with your insurance if you are putting the non XL rated tyres.

Last edited:

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Just consider that SEAT fit and specify the XL rated tyres on many of it's cars.

Check with your insurance if you are putting the non XL rated tyres.

Mine has the regular 91LI tyres, so I shouldn't have issues with fitting both options.

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Thanks to everyone for the comments, I have ordered a set of Rial Kodiaks (graphite) and Nokian WR A4 XL, size is 225/45/17. I know that the WR D4 are great and only read positive comments regarding them, but decided to go for the newer model and a bit more performance oriented (at least that is what Nokian are saying :) ) so hoping everything will go well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members