Yet more problems...

idasben

So came down to look at the airbag issue this morning (see different thread about fault 01218) and the car won't start at all.

When turning the ignition on I did notice that the radio had gone into lock-down mode, so required the code to be put in.

However although this works and returns the car to normal, when I then tried to turn the car on it just made a loud click (sounded like from the starter motor) and then turned itself completely off.

After this I couldn't try to start it again without removing the key entirely then putting it back in, going through the motions then the exact same happening.

I've tried both keys, makes no difference and the battery shouldn't be knackered as its 3 months old, and all the electrics work fine without a problem until you try and turn it over.

Also, i've put VAGCOM onto it and done a quick look through the immobiliser/engine control modules and found no faults.

Any help would be awesomely appreciated as it's completely desperate to get it sorted and operational again!

AP_V5

Jan 19, 2010
Sussex
Sounds very much like a lack of battery voltage to me too, as already said check voltage and check for drains, ie silly things like a light left on etc

idasben

ie silly things like a light left on etc

Indeed, after looking at it, the passenger door had been slightly, really slightly, open thus leaving the rear interior lights on for 2 days.

Problem solved, well after a jump start and 20 minute drive to get it all charged!

Just seemed wierd that the starter motor literally made no effort, just clicked once no stuttering or anything.

Still, thanks for the replies guys, yet further proof of the power of the internet!

idasben

Yeah I'm glad it's sorted, after this week of issues from solidly rusted on brake discs to airbag lights it seemed to be finally finished this morning! But hopefully making a recovery now!

AP_V5

Jan 19, 2010
Sussex
Glad you got it sorted, just goes to show pays to check the simple things first! :)

The clicking would have been the solenoid engaging but there just would have been enough current the turn the motor.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.