BMN 170 rough Idle + Smoke

Aug 17, 2019
Hi All

I have just had the cam belt changed on my Leon (BMN) 170 2.0 tdi . We used all the correct locking pins etc and timing 'appears' to be in order, however, When we started the car I noticed a lot of smoke and rough idle whilst warming up. It seemed to drive fine, checked the torsion value and the numbers were engine speed: 803 Injection start: 5.0 ATDC injection duration: 4.0KW Torsion Value: 2.97

I have managed to alter the torsion value to 0 as this seemed to be the issue on other cars with the same symptoms after the cam belt. The readings are now engine speed: 792 Injection start: 4.0 ATDC injection duration: 5.0KW Torsion Value: 0.00

The car drives better once warmed up but still smokes and idles rough when cold, is there any other settings I can check on VAG COM to confirm the timing ? does anyone know what the injection start and duration readings should be so i can compare to the readings I have above?

Alternatively, has anyone had the same issue, if so what was it and how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance
Dom

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Just an update. After much reading up last night, the general focus seems to be on the inlet cam but a few have mentioned the fuelling adjustment on the exhaust cam so this morning I adjusted the exhaust Cam and the Juddering had improved and the smoke had become much less, power was much better and the car generally felt like it should. I had marked both Sprokets with a marker before adjusting them so I know how much I had adjusted the inlet cam and in what direction, and also had a base to set back to if needed. I moved it about 1-2mm Clockwise. I checked afterwards on vcds and the fueling has gone from 0.3 to 0.56. I have adjusted the exhaust cam 3 or 4 more times with VERY small increments and the juddering on idle has gone also no more smoke. I haven't been out in it yet or checked what the current figures are on vcds but will up date when I get chance for future reference for anyone with similar issue's.

Reactions: Compo1
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.