Formentor Paint peeling lower front bumper

Mar 8, 2024
As title, wondering if anyone else has any paint peeling or bubbles in the trim round the lower bumber and arches.

Ive attached a photo, apologies for splash marks, i took the photo before I cleaned it lol.

ANy ideas of best way to tackle this.

thanks

Attachments

• 20240511_105725.jpg
    20240511_105725.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 67

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Peeling paint and / or the clear coat lifting or peeling is usually a sign of poor or improper preparation of the surface prior to it being repainted. If this is also happening around the (front?) wheel arch - presumably the wheel arch nearest to the affected part of the bumper? - it does suggest that parts of your car may have been repainted at some point. Do you wash your car using a pressure washer, as over zealous use of a pressure washer can cause lacquer peel? I worked with a guy a few years ago who lost a large area of clear coat from a repainted panel of their car through improper use of a pressure washer.

Unfortunately, IMHO the only way to tackle the peeling paint on the affected areas is to get them repainted. In your position, I’d want it done by a good quality bodyshop with a reputation for doing top quality work with the appropriate facilities (temperature controlled painting and drying environment) who will correctly prepare the area prior to painting so it doesn’t peel again in future and can achieve a perfect match to the surrounding factory paint - both in terms of colour and finish.

Have you owned your car from new? I’m assuming not - if you had, you’d know if any repairs had been carried out to the bumper during your period of ownership. Having said that, it’s not unknown for brand new cars to be repaired if they’re damaged in transit from the factory (it does happen quite often).

If your car is less than three years old, you could try claiming under the three year paintwork warranty which covers paintwork issues as a result of defective factory painting processes or defective original paint. However, if the paint isn’t the original factory paint, then IMHO it’s unlikely you’ll be successful with a warranty claim. If the dealership you bought your car from carried out a cosmetic repair to that part of the bumper and the wheel arch(es) prior to selling the car to you, they may be prepared to repaint the affected areas free of charge or at a reduced cost. However, I think that’s unlikely; they’re more likely to deny having carried out any repainting work even if they did!

Please update this discussion topic with how you proceed, any developments and the outcome.

Reactions: KJA

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Peeling paint and / or the clear coat lifting or peeling is usually a sign of poor or improper preparation of the surface prior to it being repainted. If this is also happening around the (front?) wheel arch - presumably the wheel arch nearest to the affected part of the bumper? - it does suggest that parts of your car may have been repainted at some point. Do you wash your car using a pressure washer, as over zealous use of a pressure washer can cause lacquer peel? I worked with a guy a few years ago who lost a large area of clear coat from a repainted panel of their car through improper use of a pressure washer.

Unfortunately, IMHO the only way to tackle the peeling paint on the affected areas is to get them repainted. In your position, I’d want it done by a good quality bodyshop with a reputation for doing top quality work with the appropriate facilities (temperature controlled painting and drying environment) who will correctly prepare the area prior to painting so it doesn’t peel again in future and can achieve a perfect match to the surrounding factory paint - both in terms of colour and finish.

Have you owned your car from new? I’m assuming not - if you had, you’d know if any repairs had been carried out to the bumper during your period of ownership. Having said that, it’s not unknown for brand new cars to be repaired if they’re damaged in transit from the factory (it does happen quite often).

If your car is less than three years old, you could try claiming under the three year paintwork warranty which covers paintwork issues as a result of defective factory painting processes or defective original paint. However, if the paint isn’t the original factory paint, then IMHO it’s unlikely you’ll be successful with a warranty claim. If the dealership you bought your car from carried out a cosmetic repair to that part of the bumper and the wheel arch(es) prior to selling the car to you, they may be prepared to repaint the affected areas free of charge or at a reduced cost. However, I think that’s unlikely; they’re more likely to deny having carried out any repainting work even if they did!

Please update this discussion topic with how you proceed, any developments and the outcome.
I thought the paintwork warranty was for ten years, as long as it was checked once a year at it's service schedule at dealer.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I thought the paintwork warranty was for ten years, as long as it was checked once a year at it's service schedule at dealer.
Paintwork is three years, anti perforation is twelve years - screen shot below from Seat UK‘s website;

IMG_0521.jpeg

Reactions: Seastormer
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise