Part of car has hit mine! What to do!

Shminkypinky

Dec 1, 2017
So I have had my Cupra for 4 weeks and was driving on a dual carriage way on Saturday evening minding my own business when an older Fiesta passed me and when they were about a car length ahead in the other lane their door pillar trim fell from the car and struck mine. The noise from it was very loud and I immediately thought the car would be badly damaged.
Luckily nothing or no one was damaged/hurt apart from my wing mirror cover which has a few scuffs but hardly noticeable. The were some light paint scratches which have polished out thankfully.
The driver didn't stop as they were probably unaware.
However I am slightly annoyed by it but am unsure what I should or could do.
The damage is not worth claiming for but I do not feel its right that they should not be told or held accountable.
I have dash cam footage but would appreciate your thoughts.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You are probs going to struggle with this

The police won’t be interested
Then if you get your insurance to chase it then it goes down as a claim (a non fault claim) but you will have to pay your excess and then they will have to claim that back from the 3rd party. Which could take years. Also will affect your NCB even if non fault.

unfortunately just have to let it go i would say and get a new wing mirror cover. Annoying but they aren’t too expensive.

what colour is your car as im sure i have 2 mystery blue wing mirror caps in the shed.

Reactions: Shminkypinky

Shminkypinky

Dec 1, 2017
You are probs going to struggle with this

The police won’t be interested
Then if you get your insurance to chase it then it goes down as a claim (a non fault claim) but you will have to pay your excess and then they will have to claim that back from the 3rd party. Which could take years. Also will affect your NCB even if non fault.

unfortunately just have to let it go i would say and get a new wing mirror cover. Annoying but they aren’t too expensive.

what colour is your car as im sure i have 2 mystery blue wing mirror caps in the shed.
Yes I think you are right, it just annoys me that people who clearly don't look after their cars can drive around without a car and cause damage to someone elses property.
Very kind of you to offer. Its a silver one with black mirror caps. To be honest there are only a few scuffs so its not worth the bother of replacing.
Its more about the principle!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@BigJase88 is right unfortunately and these thing do happen - they’re all part of the car ownership experience. As annoying as these incidents are, as you’ve said fortunately no one was injured which Is the main thing.

If you know someone with a machine polisher, they may be able to polish out the scuff marks in your door mirror cap. Alternatively, if you have any professional car detailers in your area, you could ask their advice and if the marks can be removed through polishing, it shouldn’t cost much to get them professionally polished out (I hazard a guess it’d be much less than the excess on your insurance).

Reactions: Shminkypinky

Toledo20VT

May 29, 2013
Kent
Yes I think you are right, it just annoys me that people who clearly don't look after their cars can drive around without a car and cause damage to someone elses property.
Thread resurrection! Saw your post looking for something else - guessing this was a Mk 6 02-08(ish) Fiesta? I had one of these years ago. I kept it well, but nearly lost 2 pillar trims like this in about half a mile (stopped and saved the second one as it flapped about and made a noise - the first flew off with no warning!)... the car was 4 years old with 20k on the clock! They are glued onto the clips, bad Ford design and may not be the owners fault.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.