Non-Starting Cupra - Whats Wrong Now? (Inc Video)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Just a theory here .....

If the Mk2 is the same as the Mk1, the CAN / OBD port shares a fuse with other things - if the fuse has blown ( mine shares it with the rear number plate lights and rear map lights ) this may cause the port to stop working in the same way as mine did until i traced the problem.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
when you had the ic fitted did you have the map changed at all?
Only changed the Boost, Timing and Fuel. It was run for hours extensivley yesterday, and really put thru its paces.

The boost pressure, inlet temps, fuel pressure etc were all fine. Car's core temp also fell very fast after some fast driving too, so everything on the IC front seamed fine. No fault codes were coming up in VAGCOM while on the road either.

Everything just seamed normal... Thats why when it didnt start this morning, I was like "wtf?"...

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Just a theory here .....

If the Mk2 is the same as the Mk1, the CAN / OBD port shares a fuse with other things - if the fuse has blown ( mine shares it with the rear number plate lights and rear map lights ) this may cause the port to stop working in the same way as mine did until i traced the problem.

Tend to agree with you, based on the fact there is no communication taking place could well indicate a CAN bus issue. My thoughts were if something hasn't been plugged back in properly and it's come loose while driving or even got damp over night and shorted. :think:

If the error is CAN bus related it may also explain why the other ECU also refused to talk, though mixing ECU's from different cars considering the Golf 30 has a different driver information system and clocks may not be proof of anything other than they are incompatible anyway.

In VAGCOM doing a test on the actual diagnostic lead usually tells you if the CAN BUS is offline. For example I think if you switch off the ignition on the car while connected to VAGCOM and run a test it says it has no connection to CAN when tested.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Tend to agree with you, based on the fact there is no communication taking place could well indicate a CAN bus issue. My thoughts were if something hasn't been plugged back in properly and it's come loose while driving or even got damp over night and shorted. :think:

If the error is CAN bus related it may also explain why the other ECU also refused to talk, though mixing ECU's from different cars considering the Golf 30 has a different driver information system and clocks may not be proof of anything other than they are incompatible anyway.

In VAGCOM doing a test on the actual diagnostic lead usually tells you if the CAN BUS is offline. For example I think if you switch off the ignition on them while connected to VAGCOM they will says they have no connection to CAN when tested.

What i don't know is what happened with his ( not having a CAN enabled vehicle) and whether vagcom would connect but then fails to communicate or just fails to connect?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
What i don't know is what happened with his ( not having a CAN enabled vehicle) and whether vagcom would connect but then fails to communicate or just fails to connect?

As far as I am aware the ignition must be powered up to power the CAN line. Running a cable test in VAGCOM should say whether the lead has a CAN connection or not.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
I was having a nosey around VAGCOM on thier laptop when he was trying to establish connection. In the top left of the screen CAN was showing in red, followed by something like "No response, Retry". Then it said something like no device found after 2 try's.

Then every fuse under the steering wheel and the ones next to the battery were checked... No faults found there...

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
strange as when you do the ic there is nothing in that area that would bring on the not starting problem, as this is a front mount the only thing that needs to be unplugged is the headlights,washer jets,fog lights so i think its an ecu problem

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I was having a nosey around VAGCOM on thier laptop when he was trying to establish connection. In the top left of the screen CAN was showing in red, followed by something like "No response, Retry". Then it said something like no device found after 2 try's.

Then every fuse under the steering wheel and the ones next to the battery were checked... No faults found there...

That sounds like they were checking for the same thing I was when mine stopped working ( different ECU / port / car but same procedure.

It suggests wiring fault of some nature but what is pure speculation.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
strange as when you do the ic there is nothing in that area that would bring on the not starting problem, as this is a front mount the only thing that needs to be unplugged is the headlights,washer jets,fog lights so i think its an ecu problem ie its fried it
The Xenon's were never removed - Front bumper comes away with them still firmly bolted in. The fog lamps were disconnected, but both tested as working this morning. the only other thing rmeoved was the hose on the drivers side for the lamp's washer jets. Those work too!

There's nothing else down there to go wrong!

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
The Xenon's were never removed - Front bumper comes away with them still firmly bolted in. The fog lamps were disconnected, but both tested as working this morning. the only other thing rmeoved was the hose on the drivers side for the lamp's washer jets. Those work too!

There's nothing else down there to go wrong!

i know fella as i did the s3 one on my ed30 2 weeks ago and i had to take the whole front off the car lol so i dont think its the ic thats at fault, so defo ecu problem
s3icinstall002.jpg

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I may well be wrong but if the ECU is toast, I don't see how its still cranking? It would indicate the ignition system is still intact at least. Interested to hear what the eventual diagnosis and fix will be.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
I may well be wrong but if the ECU is toast, I don't see how its still cranking? It would indicate the ignition system is still intact at least. Interested to hear what the eventual diagnosis and fix will be.
Ditto m8, John and Ben at VagTech are excellent guys. They said they are confident they'll have sussed it by Wednesday!

Still keeping my fingers crossed though!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Woah, that made for some un-comfortable reading. I'm going to mention the Fuel Pump tomorrow, as mine was changed too (But it's not the APR one), and could well be an issue, however it would have surfaced yesterday?

There's an issue with the CAM and CAM Follower wearing out very early on mapped cars. It could also be this?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Well i would have thought that if the ECU was dead .... you'd get zip nada nothing, if it had an error you'd get random faults ... odd that you can't connect with vagcom or the dealer software however ultimately the car fails to start despite turning over. Fuel / Spark or ECU - i've had a good google around and there's nothing identical to your problem that i've found yet.

I really hope they find the fault and get it fixed quickly for you.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.