Cupra Engine details / remap

duckson

Apr 8, 2004
Can anyone confirm if the Cupra engine uses a bigger turbo than the FR/Golf GTi? I've also seen it mentioned that it might be a detuned S3 engine, any truth in this?
Also is there any tuners out there in Europe who've remapped the Cupra and if so what sort of bhp / Lb/ft are they achieving?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Can anyone confirm if the Cupra engine uses a bigger turbo than the FR/Golf GTi? I've also seen it mentioned that it might be a detuned S3 engine, any truth in this?
Also is there any tuners out there in Europe who've remapped the Cupra and if so what sort of bhp / Lb/ft are they achieving?

Yes the word is that it is basically a detuned S3 engine with larger turbo.

A stage one remap should get around 300hp which some tuners have acheived.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
been discussed lots, I think everyone's accepted the fact that it is a "detuned" S3 motor, apparently with lower compression, but I think we've STILL not seen a picture of the turbo plate.

Seems like Euro Cupras are remapping to a shade over 300bhp though.

heinbloed100

Dec 9, 2006
northern Germany
Sadly it has not that much to do with the S3 than with the Golf GTI 30 Edition. The S3 has a lot of different part numbers. Even the turbocharger has a different one... :cry: Probably the S3 has two intercoolers and the Cupra only one. Found out about it in a german forum.
So in summary: it's NOT an S3 engine...

heinbloed100

Dec 9, 2006
northern Germany
Sorry, don't know exactly but probably it's a bigger one.
Here are the part numbers of the engines.

S3:
06F 145 702 C = exhaust manifold and turbocharger
1K0 145 803 P = intercooler, there are two of them
8P0 253 181 = middle and end exhaust silencer

Cupra (engine code BWJ):
06F 145 701 E = exhaust manifold and turbocharger
1K0 145 803 A = intercooler
1P0 253 181 D = middle and end exhaust silencer (but this is for engine code BWA, so perhaps BWJ has something else here)

Jun 28, 2001
it has the same size turbo but different actuator and intake pipe is different

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise