Rear Courtesy Lights

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Could do with some help guys. The picture below is a bulb out of the rear courtesy light. Scouring the forum I can find plenty of people who have replaced the rear courtesy lights with LEDs, however non of them are the type of bulb I have in mine!! Has anyone replaced these, what type of bulb do I need? I''ve looked on ultraleds (wanted to order from here) and cant find anything? :confused:

Bulb.jpg

Many Thanks,

Matt.

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Cheers for that timmahhhhhh. Have you ordered from these before? Whats the quality like? I really don't want to be ordering some more dodgy eBay LEDs that last 10 minutes.

Matt.

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
I think T4? I've just measured the bulb it measures approx 6/7mm diameter and approx 12mm from the top flange of the holder to the bulb top.

Bulb1.jpg

Matt.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I'm sure T5 has been mentioned before to fit. I couldn't find the link though.

timmahhhhhh

Apr 29, 2007
Leamington Spa
Quality is ok, refelcted in the price!!

To be honest, they don't greatly light up the rear, I got them more to match the LED's in the front interior light.

Neither has stopped working yet though and they've been in the car for a few months now.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I hope Matt you didn't get the T4's. They are the wrong ones :(.
T5's do seem to be the right ones.

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Yeah I've ordered some Allan, there's a few more pennies wasted on ebay!! Anyone want any T4 LEDs?
Matt.

Don't get the T5's until mine arrive. It might save you some more :lol:
I'll let you know if they fit :).

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Matt,

Hold off on buying the bulbs, they don't fit :lol:.
They are the right size however there seems to be a small lip on the casing that prevents the bulb going into the circuit board. Your talking about 1mm either side. I'm gonna either attempt a dremel removal or try heating up a small flat bladed screwdrived and melt/scrape the casing away. The bulbs were only £2 so if it fails then :shrug:.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Matt

RearCourtesy.jpg

:D

Ok they're not as bright as the originals but they do look good.
The ebay T5's do need to be modded a little.

NeoWedge.jpg

The lip represented by the green line needs to be cut straight down or as near flush with the inner part as possible. This is easily done with a sharp Stanley blade or craft knife.
The lug represented by the red line needs a little trimmed off vertically so it can also fit into the circuit board holder. Now do this little by little so it just fits in as once in you can't really turn to lock them like the originals. However as long as it's a tight fit and the little bits of wire make contact with either side of the board then the light will come on. I also used a little electrician tape to hold them in firm.
Don't forget if they don't light up first time they need to be taken out and turned 180 degrees. Then try again. Remember don't take too much material off on the vertical cut has I had one side looser than the other.
The green line lip can be cut flush as with this it doesn't even fit in the board, or it didn't on mine.

HTH :).

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Yep,

T5 with a slight adjustment. Just cut a little bit here n there...

dsc00306xv1.jpg

dsc00307fo1.jpg

OFF

img1887ui0.jpg

ON

img1888zb8.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.