Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

brad1

Not long I hope - i'd guess a few weeks though - certainly at least a month as there's a fair bit of stuff to go through and both SFS and myself want it right before we call it finished :)

Wicked :D is there any pics of it atm as there must of been a prototype done??

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Camaro SS Paint Correction Detail
-----

Here is the detail I done on Sunday: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2374875#post2374875

Pretty pleased with the results. :)

DSCF1280.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Take it they are at AmD lol, how long you going to be there for mate, i may pop over for a bit
No idea mate - haven't planned it at all. I just wanted to pop there, have a look at them, see what bit goes where....Then probably go home.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
SFS - What a joke
----
I received the pipework from SFS albeit 3 weeks late. When the AmD mechanics and I saw them saw them we thought it was a joke. I received two pieces of 12 inch long alloy and two pieces 6 inches long. I just cant believe that SFS can get something so wrong even they have the schematics and I had phoned them explaining in detail the problem, what options they had, what I want and what SFS said would be the solution. They didn't even fit well in the pipework...

To say I am annoyed / angry is an understatement. I have sent a very harsh e-mail to SFS stating 4-5 ****-ups they have done since I and AmD have been dealing with them which has cost me and AmD money. I have demanded that I get a full refund as the original SFS pipes are simply not fit for the purpose they were sold OR they make me up new pipework that are wired through that can hold a decent amount of boost. If they fail to do this I will make sure everyone knows how I have been treated since I first had contact with them. I know its harsh and I dont like speaking about companies on forums but they have had so many opportunities to rectify there mistakes its untrue.

The original pipes have gone back on and the car ran much smoother and more responsive. Only problem I got is that the original pipes have worn and need new clips etc...left the car at AmD to get that sorted and a new remap put on.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I hope it doesn't go too quiet for you. I wouldn't want to critcise SFS without knowing the details, but as you seem quite upset about the whole issue would tend to suggest to me that you're at your wits end with them - ergo they fooked up royally.

Despite your Mediterranean background, somehow I can't imagine that this part of you has taken over emotionally on that posting. I've not seen your arms waving to date.

Hopefully see you soon.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Having said all that - the kit wasn't developed on a hybrid or for a hybrid and i'm sure when you bought the pipes you didn't have a hybrid - in fact at the time the car had been off the road for weeks IIRC due to turbo issues. The pipes were late due to the chap making them being off sick. If you're going to comment about wasted time and things there is another company in that post who you've had other issues with but you resolved those without broadcasting them - ahh yes that's because you were getting other stuff done ;)

I'm not defending SFS and nor am i having a go at anyone else but you need to tell both sides of the story.

As for me, i'm going to continue to work with SFS to get this sorted no matter how much time and effort it takes on my part - it will be worth it in the end given the other choices available. To be utterly honest this goes back to the roots of tuning, if you want off the shelf reliable one fit parts then you need to buy an LCR where everything has been done over and over again ad infinitum. Maybe you could get one of those turbo kits that DPJ ..... oh hang on .... that didn't work out of the box either.

To be honest it would be easier to get the metal pipes yourself and get the ends swaged! With all your new found boost the OE pipe system and clips will blow itself to bits and you know it. Then what ..... off to forge for a complete front mount and another different pipe system.

Honestly it's time for an LCR :)

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Really sorry to hear that! What a shambles. What you needed seemed pretty obvious to me and I know zilch about diesels - it shouldn't have been hard!!!
That's the thing Dave, it was obvious to you and I. I really thought that what i was going to be sent by SFS would have sorted all my problems especially with the amount of communication I had with them.

I hope it doesn't go too quiet for you. I wouldn't want to critcise SFS without knowing the details, but as you seem quite upset about the whole issue would tend to suggest to me that you're at your wits end with them - ergo they fooked up royally.

Despite your Mediterranean background, somehow I can't imagine that this part of you has taken over emotionally on that posting. I've not seen your arms waving to date.

Hopefully see you soon.
You are correct I am at my wits end with them. I think my anger is a combination of multiple things. Firstly, I want the car to be working as it shoul and secondly SFS keep cocking up on multiple fronts.

I consider myself to be very patient person when it comes to companies making a mistake as I have got more than my fair share over the years as some of you know with my car. I always give them ample of opportunity to rectify the problem but sometimes a stamp of the feet is required if one is receiving a bad service.

Having said all that - the kit wasn't developed on a hybrid or for a hybrid and i'm sure when you bought the pipes you didn't have a hybrid - in fact at the time the car had been off the road for weeks IIRC due to turbo issues. The pipes were late due to the chap making them being off sick. If you're going to comment about wasted time and things there is another company in that post who you've had other issues with but you resolved those without broadcasting them - ahh yes that's because you were getting other stuff done ;)

I'm not defending SFS and nor am i having a go at anyone else but you need to tell both sides of the story.

As for me, i'm going to continue to work with SFS to get this sorted no matter how much time and effort it takes on my part - it will be worth it in the end given the other choices available. To be utterly honest this goes back to the roots of tuning, if you want off the shelf reliable one fit parts then you need to buy an LCR where everything has been done over and over again ad infinitum. Maybe you could get one of those turbo kits that DPJ ..... oh hang on .... that didn't work out of the box either.

To be honest it would be easier to get the metal pipes yourself and get the ends swaged! With all your new found boost the OE pipe system and clips will blow itself to bits and you know it. Then what ..... off to forge for a complete front mount and another different pipe system.

Honestly it's time for an LCR :)
Pat as you well know I have had my doubts about the kit since day one. The fact that the problems with the kit wasnt as apparent before I went Hybrid doesnt mean the product is good and up to standard we require. The current product as it is very weak and AmD noticed the pipes swelling before the hybrid but I didnt listen to them as you had positive experience with it all (I trust your opinion as you well know).

I am not saying SFS kit killed my turbo but its quite funny that shortly after fitting the SFS kit I had running problems then a couple months later my turbo died. I think the fact that they swell so much is killing the turbo slowly. Since the hybrid again I am getting smoke that shouldnt be there - I changed to standard kit today and smoking issues disappeared. My Engine juddering problem disappeared. DPJ when looking at the kit said that the silicone as very very weak.

The delays were not all because the chap was sick. He specifically said to me before he went sick that the kit was sent and it wasnt. Then he said when he returned from sickness that the person he left in instructions forgot to do it. Then I was told it was sent and I didnt get it till a week later...This is not good service in my book, furthermore this is not the only time they messed me about hence my complaints to them which I will not name at this time.

I am trying my best to give them a good opportunity to respond/fix my issue.

Finally as for being vocal about problems with companies. I always try and assess how I should approach a problem and what result I want to get by complaining. If you referring to problems I have had with AmD your right I could have easily come on here and ranted. I haven't because I have a very good relationship with AmD and in the end they always make sure I go away happy hence why I always go back to them.

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
LCR :)

I'll buy one of those before i do anything else major to mine.

I know you got taken down a route you might not have gone down with the early death of your turbo .... that led to a lot of other exensive things.

All the above said, there's been so many issues with hybrid Tdis reported that the whole thing just puts me right off.

I do hope you get it sorted though :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
LCR :)

I'll buy one of those before i do anything else major to mine.

I know you got taken down a route you might not have gone down with the early death of your turbo .... that led to a lot of other exensive things.

All the above said, there's been so many issues with hybrid Tdis reported that the whole thing just puts me right off.

I do hope you get it sorted though :)
LCR is a great car but so is the TDI. The hybrid hasnt been the problem - the SFS kit has.

Look at Strugers car - got allard kit and hasnt had a problem with his Hybrid.

So is the answer stainless steel pipeing then Maz ???
Well I suppose so but I doubt SFS will be doing that now.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
LCR is a great car but so is the TDI. The hybrid hasnt been the problem - the SFS kit has.

Look at Strugers car - got allard kit and hasnt had a problem with his Hybrid.

Well I suppose so but I doubt SFS will be doing that now.

Yeah but my god have people had problems with Allards turbos ....

Maybe when the boost pipes unswell they cause too much air to flow back to the turbo .... causing it to stall or wear on the bearings in a way they're not designed to work? I don't know ... all theory. I know my turbo got noisy but it had done 60k and 40k of tha has been thrashed - it was making funny sounds and blowing odd smoke / oil well before those pipes went on.

Either way we know that solid pipes are the way forward with minimal silicon - and we also know that the stock system was too restrictive - evolution of a product takes time and sometimes money.

Heck look at Ash ... he didn't even get the right turbo and he used TD :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members