Anyone got a 290 yet

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
Has anyone actually physically took delivery of a 290 yet ? I'm interested to fid out about any difference in exhaust/engine noise, handling, full link etc....

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
It's prob the same as the 280, my car dynod 294 standard as a 280. Get a milltek cat back if u want a lovely sound :)

Lii31

Jun 24, 2013
Hello,

I get my Cupra 290 Saturday. I am in France.

I saw it a few days ago but I have not tried it: it just arrived from factory and its speed was limited at 35 km per hour.

I wait for my Cupra since 6 months (but I ordered a 280). A nice Christmas present! :D

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
It would be nice to know what have changed with the exhaust.

Sent using my fingers

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Apparently it's just a silencer removal so instead of carrying 3, it'll now have 2 so I guess it'll sound more fruity on the up shifts (DSG). Just a marketing gimmick really, still the same brilliant car!

some (quality) video would be great!
I'm pretty sure this Youtuber is going to do a back to back comparison as the time comes, I remember asking him a while ago.
Link: http://youtu.be/rdvXTJCYSXE

Last edited:

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
So its probably the one right next to the rear axle. Found replacement pipes at eBay.de for those. Roughly £100 incl shipping, or £120 for resonator and middle silencer removal.

Sent using my fingers

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
As above its the golf r system with two silencers not three. I'll borrow a GoPro next week and get you all a video.
Active as the Golf R?
The R lacks the first resonator.

Sent using my fingers

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I posted a video on my Instagram. J44KCK.

Just watched your video and love the sound of the new exhaust :) Should of been how the 280 sounded from the beginning.
Any idea what the difference is mechanically and if it's an easy mod done to the 280?

Best colour by the way ;) not that I'm biased....

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
So what do you reckon of the 290?? Performance, looks, drive, sound and overall viewpoint?

Not looking for war and peace, just a brief overview.

By the way, Im interested to know what sort of mpg you are getting; not that that it matters too much.
Cheers

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
So what do you reckon of the 290?? Performance, looks, drive, sound and overall viewpoint?

Not looking for war and peace, just a brief overview.

By the way, Im interested to know what sort of mpg you are getting; not that that it matters too much.
Cheers

Yeah I like it. As I've said though it's exactly the same as a 280. Just louder when in Cupra.

Performance is great.
Looks great (when clean)
Drive is the same as performance.
Sound is nice and quiet when you want it to be and nice and loud when you want it to be.
I've only done circa of 250 miles. When I last looked it was about 23mpg long term.

ncr

Dec 29, 2015
Could you post the video somewhere else as well? Youtube? I don't have access to Instagram currently... That would be awesome!

Last edited:

ncr

Dec 29, 2015
Saw the video now too, sound is really quite good. Maybe even better that the Golf R sound. But seems actually very similar.