Virtual Cockpit/ illuminated door sills

Matt94

Sep 24, 2017
So I ordered a Cupra 300 in July which was built week 44 30th October. Originally I was told it would be built week 45. I have been in contact with Seat customer services UK to check whether my vehicle will have the virtual cockpit and was advised that it is a specification that came into place from week 45, meaning all vehicles from this date ordered in the UK would have the virtual cockpit and illuminated door sills.

This means that as they built my Cupra the week before the start of the build of the virtual cockpit that I miss out! I’m incredibly frustrated, escpecially bevause it was originally due to be built week 45.

If you were in my position what would you do? I’m not sure whether to cancel and re order but have a lengthy wait, complain and see if anything comes of it or have a bitter sweet feeling that my Cupra is nearly here but with no virtual cockpit and be jealous of everyone else that now has one.

Ugh!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’d personally re-order and wait it out. I know I’d always be thinking I could have had the virtual cockpit if I was more patient.

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue)
Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage Two Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+ | Milltek Large Bore Downpipe | Pipewerx Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Forge Turbo Blanket
Interior: Koonlung K1S Dash Cam with BlackVue Power Magic Pro
Exterior: TRC Front Splitter | Foliatec Exhaust Paint Gloss Black

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
So I ordered a Cupra 300 in July which was built week 44 30th October. Originally I was told it would be built week 45. I have been in contact with Seat customer services UK to check whether my vehicle will have the virtual cockpit and was advised that it is a specification that came into place from week 45, meaning all vehicles from this date ordered in the UK would have the virtual cockpit and illuminated door sills.

This means that as they built my Cupra the week before the start of the build of the virtual cockpit that I miss out! I’m incredibly frustrated, escpecially bevause it was originally due to be built week 45.

If you were in my position what would you do? I’m not sure whether to cancel and re order but have a lengthy wait, complain and see if anything comes of it or have a bitter sweet feeling that my Cupra is nearly here but with no virtual cockpit and be jealous of everyone else that now has one.

Ugh!

Oh dear,

I've been monitoring the progress of the Cupra R and Digital cockpit since the summer.

When I found out that the r was limited and not much of an upgrade I let that go but I clung on to the idea of a digital cockpit.

I guess it depends on how much you want it..

I've cancelled 2 orders previous over specs and now have an expected date which has shifted from December 17 to April 18.

So I'll get the upgrades but It's a long wait.

The current 300 is a really nice car, cockpit and sills aside.

The only reason I was desperate for the cockpit was because I was coming from a 280. The more different and upgraded it feels the better imho.

But if you are not coming from similar then it'll still be a great motor.

Are you prepared to wait for it?

Complaining about them building your car a week early, not sure where you'll stand especially as you didn't know it was going to come into effect on week 45 anyway.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I wouldn't wait another x months just for the cockpit. Yes its cool but the whole car is great without it (i got one of the first 300 4drives).

It certainly pisses me off that they release a facelift and new model and then only include the latest tech after 8 months of selling the new model but then thats how it works.

Having not experienced the VC but like any new car tech the first gen is always in need of more refinement so the next gen of VC will definitely be worth it.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I wouldn't wait another x months just for the cockpit. Yes its cool but the whole car is great without it (i got one of the first 300 4drives).

That depends on the situation , VWFS are just extending lease on my 280 which is currently on a reduced rate due to low mileage.

It's only a 65 plate 9k on the clock so the extra wait will not be as painful.

So depends on the original posters situation.

TBH though one of the main reasons I wanted it was for navigation and when I tested it in the Golf R it didn't support Google maps :(

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
True

I ditched my iphone 7 for a OnePlus5 just so i could run Waze through android auto. So much better than CarPlay as carplay doesnt support google maps or waze..

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Waze is google maps navigation with a custom map (and owned by Google)

Its best use is for police and traffic though.. Its great.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
My build week is 48 and mine won’t have the virtual cockpit. Naturally I wanted it but IMO I was happy enough before and I’m buying the car for the way it drives and although cool the cockpit won’t change that. Decided I don’t won’t to wait longer by cancelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orguss

Jul 3, 2017
Hampshire
So does the virtual cockpit come in week 45 or week 2 2018? All the different information out there is confusing, although is seeming on par for SEAT UK's build service at the moment.

TBH most of us are using carplay/A Auto so teh extra cockpit features are less useful anyway, assuming its the golf system.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
I called seat the other day and the guy said it would be orders placed week 45 or after. Well that was my understanding

Orguss

Jul 3, 2017
Hampshire
I called seat the other day and the guy said it would be orders placed week 45 or after. Well that was my understanding

Ah orders placed not build week... I suppose orders placed now won’t be built until after build week 2

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
I'm hanging on with my order in case they do another black edition with the heated buckets, as heated buckets currently can't be selected, doesn't matter when you order you normally miss out on some new edition

Last edited:

dale.knights

Dec 31, 2016
Personally I would tell them to shove it where the don’t shine my friend because you ordered virtual cockpit it just a way or them offloading old style stock unless the is a very big discount not hundreds thousands try your luck a while ago I got a new vw golf out of vw because they messed up on the second hand one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
I ordered mine 30/9 and at that point there was no mention of the virtual cockpit

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Matt I have had my new cupra 300 for a about 4 weeks be honest I would not miss the virtual cockpit not bothered don't forget as all new things have issues to contend with I would be more pissed off about the extra wait and to top that off if you get an issue with the virtual cockpit display... remember this is a personal view of this I love my new cupra

cheers GHB

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
As previously mentioned this is build week 2 onwards. Order placed from week 45 are certain to be Q4 factory build (even later at the moment I guess). It's why the new brochure was published last week (45).

This will be VC Gen #2 so better than the original with some tweaks but still behind the Audi system. From my experience of it so far the novelty wears off and you don't think about it.

If you forever wait for next updates you'll never get a car. VW group seems to be updating the cars spec significantly twice a year at the moment.. thinking FL, Cupra 290 intro, UK FR spec change in the last couple of years.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I'd personally leave it as not sure it's worth it. I was a tad annoyed when I got my facelift to find out a month or two later that the vc was coming out but not massively fussed. Been told it's a bit gimmicky anyway tbh. It's probably based on the outdated Audi stuff as they bring out their next gen one lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I've a Cupra on order too - but was ordered in early September so it's probably unlikely it'll come with the virtual cockpit.

I've kinda resigned myself to the fact its coming with normal dials - and be pleasantly surprised if they do turn out to be digital.
Don't think I'd bother cancelling and re-ordering - the dealer told me it could be as late as March before I get my car anyway.

Matt94

Sep 24, 2017
Thanks all!

After speaking with my dealer, they had no idea the brochure had even come into effect as the news hadn’t been passed to them- typical Seat!

The way they’ve explained it, is that all Cupras built from week 45 will have the virtual cockpit and illuminated door sills however I have replied to double check this is the case and can let you all know.

The positive side is that I could have my Cupra in around two/ three weeks! I guess I have to accept it really. I may see if illuminated sills can still be installed as I know they can be purchased as an accessory on other models.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.