How to tell if your K1 is Real

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Never said it did - read it again ;)

The bumpers on the car delivered as a Cupra K1 (often with Cupra 240 on the V5) quite often had poorly painted/fitted Aero kit.

My point was that if people believe paying more for a car SEAT might not be arsed to confirm started as a Cupra K1 which when they were released at first often had poorly painted/fitted Aero kit or a Cupra that has since had the same Aero Kit fiited along with the K1 badge and central exhaust, then more fool them as the Cupra K1 is no different than a Cupra with the same body kit badge and exhaust other than it will probably be finished better. Remember neither the Cupra, Cupra K1 or Cupra R were a limited/numbered run model. The only one from the three that should hold a premium price is the Cupra R.

Feb 16, 2013
North Wales
Just found another way,

If you go onto Seat.co.uk and click on the SEAT insurance services page, and get a quote it asks you for your registration number. ive just gone through ever "K1" on ebay and entered the registration numbers for about 7 or 8 of them it came up as a "Cupra K1", I also entered the registration of the original car SEAT UK used for promo pics and this also came up as a "Cupra K1", For some of the other ebay "K1" it just came up as "Cupra"

just been through the seat insurance as said above to check mine and its an original K1 thank god:funk:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Haha - points above proved. Sadly though yours is not even though it looks the same.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
SEAT UK will tell you

Dealer will say yes even if its not just to add £££

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 16, 2013
North Wales
Dear Mr Wood

Thank you for your recent contact via www.seat.co.uk regarding your SEAT Leon.

Having checked our internal database I am pleased to confirm that your SEAT
Leon is an official K1.

I do hope this information proves useful to you; however, if you require any
further assistance, please do not hesitate to
contact me on the details below and I will be more than happy to help you.

Kind Regards

Fiona Hankin
Customer Relations Advisor
SEAT UK
Tel 0500 222 222

Last edited:

Scottp210

scotttheboy
Jun 14, 2006
Bucks
This thread helped me find out - I called Seat & they confirmed mine is a 'real' K1 - it also comes up with K! whn trying to get insurance quotes

Robbo_wm

Jan 1, 2015
Ive put a few reg's in parkers guide website in the valuation section and seems to come up with cupra k1 on ones that I know are real (promo pics ect). But I don't know any reg for ones fitted with the kit afterwards.

Anyone got one they wanna try. parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
Ive put a few reg's in parkers guide website in the valuation section and seems to come up with cupra k1 on ones that I know are real (promo pics ect). But I don't know any reg for ones fitted with the kit afterwards.

Anyone got one they wanna try. parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/

thanks for the info! ive just put mine up forsale & someones been to view it & said can u prove its real! ive just done a parkers valuation & its come up K1! . happy happy! as it was chaffing mi! its confirmed so buzzin!

Scby555

Oct 29, 2004
SEAT UK will tell you, just drop them an email or call.
Insurance quotes should also come up with "K1". If they don't they will think its a normal cupra with an "after fit" bodykit which needs to be declared as a modification, even if fitted by the dealer: aka it was not factory fit.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
So how many K1 owners are running around in K1 that show as Cupra FSI T on the V5.
I've pushed a few numbers through a reg check and of 30 numbers 6 have come back as Cupra FSI T, the rest as Cupra K1 FSI T.

The one I'm buying comes back as Cupra FSI T, but it was a Dealer Demo car ??

SEAT UK have also confirmed that it's not registered as a K1, but then they are probably using the same registration database as everyone else (the wording of the response would seem to indicate that).

I'm not that bothered it's showing as a lowly Cupra, as it's in cracking condition. But I am trying to establish why and how some are registered as K1 whereas others are not. If only just to help explain to anyone as anal as me about the history.

Perhaps those converted by dealers are not showing K1 on the V5 due to type approval/registration approval/official sign-off.
TBH I'm surprised a vehicle can be modified upon entry into the UK and be registered as a different model. Surely SEAT UK would of had to seek new model type approval.

It could be like a Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) Subaru or Subaru WR that doesn't show on the V5 and are converted by dealers (early ones were converted by Prodrive). The vehicle had to be registered to an owner prior to modification in order to get around the type approval. I know the regulation was tightened up some years ago, perhaps this coincides with the importing of the K1.

Last edited:

Scby555

Oct 29, 2004
I think you are correct. The "real" K1s were supplied as is ready to go.
But that didn't stop dealers fitting the parts as they were available as options before the concept of a K1 was even thought of.

"Real" K1s will be confirmed by SEAT and will show K1 on V5 and insurance databases.

Technically "fake" K1s are modified Cupra's so you should use modified insurance to cover the exhaust and bodykit changes.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Real K1 were fitted by SEAT UK before delivery to dealers, anything else was fitted by dealers before sale or after sale.

its really that simple.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
So if you have a K1 spec car for sale, a genuine K1 should be advertised as :
SEAT Leon Cupra K1
A dealer fit should really be advertised as :
SEAT Leon Cupra, K1 Specification/Aerokit

It's just a bit strange that the dealer fit one come with everything i.e Exhaust, Orion Alloys, badges. Surely SEAT UK must of approved their recreation.

It's also quite a cost premium that a dealer or purchaser would have to find (Aerokit £1000, Wheels £800, Paint £500), over what the genuine K1 specification additional cost was (£1000).

Not that I'm bothered at the moment, I just don't want to mislead when it comes to move mine on. Hopefully that will be a few years on from now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members