Very near miss

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've just had possibly one of the closest near misses of my time on the road...

I was coming down a country lane and some idiot in a Renault pulled out on me from one of the side roads. I panicked and hit the brakes but my wheels locked (Unfortunately I have one of the only SEAT's without ABS brakes and it was wet)

From the time I had to react and think about what to do, I decided the best option was to overtake on the wrong side of the road on a bend. It seemed like a much more viable option than to smash right into the back of them

What would you of done and how would you have handled it?

Please don't tell me off, I am very aware what I did was very risky but I literally couldn't think of anything other way to avoid it.

andycupra

status subject to change
instead of answering your question, i would ask what you have learnt or would do differently now you have had time to consider the situation.

PS. how much visual range was there from the junction they pulled out from? ie how far up the road could they see you approaching from?

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
instead of answering your question, i would ask what you have learnt or would do differently now you have had time to consider the situation.

PS. how much visual range was there from the junction they pulled out from? ie how far up the road could they see you approaching from?

Well mainly the first thing I have learned is that it was very risky. In future I'll slow down nearer to junction.

Visual range was very good (around 250-300 meters) and I also had my main beams on too.

The only reason I took that option is because I couldn't see another cars headlights approaching (I know I should not rely on this method at all)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Shows that although the limit was 60 it may have wise to slow down when approaching a junction, slow down, there could be a Renault looking to join in front of you.