fuel ....

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
I use either V power or Tesco 99ron. Depends on which I'm closer to.

I've not used 95 ron in it so I can judge the difference though sorry.

stevesulsh

MY08FR
Dec 8, 2008
Dublin Ireland
98/99 ron

I wish for even Vpower only have 95ron over here use "topaz" clean unleaded but recently added bottle of wynns octane booster seems to be more economical on my usual runs this week, 10.4 L per 100 km down from 11.2 and horrendous 16 L per 100 km last fill all of this without harldly a good squirt of the throttle (well maybe once or twice)

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
V power mainly. I hope everybody who uses it has a shell reward card, can't argue with money off fuel. (double points for v-power as well, yay!) Put a bit of 95 in once, wasn't much so didn't really notice a difference.

mnkiboy

May 28, 2009
Warrington
Same as above really. I generally use tesco 99 or Shell V-power. Have put in £10 of 95 a couple of times when I couldn't find any super, but could never really tell the difference.

so in other words 95 will be fine, if you cannot really notice the difference is it really worth using ? I never notice any difference between shell diesel and v power diesel, well perhaps slightly less smoke.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I've been using Tesco 99 exclusively so this sounds a little worrying... don't suppose you have a link? All the stuff I've read seems to rave about the Tesco 99 stuff. :confused:

its just stuff i have read on different forums , if i come across it again i will post up.
its a lot to do with people using see grass to clean their valves , because tesco uses a lot of additives , which dont clean like v power or bp ulitmate

try 2 tankfulls of v power and you wont go back ;)

Xaser04

Having changed to Sainsbury's super from normal unleaded I can tell a slight difference in the 'pull' opf the car (09 Cupra) but the biggest advantage has been better fuel economy which offsets the slightly higher price at the pump. I wasn't expecting any difference after not noticing any with my old R32 / Megane R26 but it is there.

Overall - Win Win!

I don't have a shell garage nearby (closest one is ~10 miles out of the way) so I havn't been able to try V-power yet (same story with Tesco's super).

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
so in other words 95 will be fine, if you cannot really notice the difference is it really worth using ? I never notice any difference between shell diesel and v power diesel, well perhaps slightly less smoke.

I reckon its worth using, turbocharged cars need the higher octane fuel to reduce the chances of detonation in the cylinder due to the increased combustion pressures/temperatures. This is especially apparent if you map the car and run higher boost.

In the manual it recommends running the car on 98 RON though it says 95 RON is ok but a slight loss in power can be expected. On standard map you probably won't notice. When running higher boost if excessive knock is detected the ECU will start pulling back.

It all depends what you want from the car really - and how you drive it :)

Last edited:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
its just stuff i have read on different forums , if i come across it again i will post up.
its a lot to do with people using see grass to clean their valves , because tesco uses a lot of additives , which dont clean like v power or bp ulitmate

try 2 tankfulls of v power and you wont go back ;)

from tinternet;

'One of Greenergy's biggest clients is supermarket giant, Tesco. Greenergy have been supplying Tesco with GlobalDiesel since 2003, and has introduced the UK's highest octane unleaded petrol, Super Unleaded 99 Octane.

The Super Unleaded 99 Octane offers an increased octane level that is higher than any other petrol supplier. It's also more environmentally friendly, and contains a special additive package that enhances engine cleaning, and as a result, delivers further long-term benefits.

Tesco are the first major petrol supplier to offer the most environmentally friendly petrol available in the UK. The fuel is a mix of high quality petrol components, blended to achieve 99 Octane. It includes 5% bioethanol, a renewable but also high-octane product which provides lower emissions of greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide.'

i personally used whatever was handiest before getting mapped, but have used v-power since.

Yeah, that's what I read before (together with lots of positive testimonials) which is why I've been using it... I might try out Shell's V-Power if it's easier than finding a Tesco 99 outlet one day though. :)

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
I've always used BP Ultimate with no concerns. It's 97RON, so midway between the standard 95RON and V-Power at 99RON.

Cheers

RickyD

That's good to know, thanks. I thought the Tesco 99 stuff was the highest octane fuel available (apart from that daft BP Racing stuff at £3/l or whatever!) as I'd assumed V-Power was 97RON just like most super unleaded.