Video overlay sensors, and 12V supply from the CANBUS

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Hi all

I'm looking to install some reversing sensors in my Cupra, and hoping someone else has an answer on this..

My car has an aftermarket head unit, and a reverse camera fitted in place of one of the rear numberplate lights (a great job by the way, would recommend it to anyone..)

I was looking at something like this.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parking-R...hash=item3a54b7a65e:m:mIKhS4Fx3fyiNUWtggCkUlw

The idea is that the reversing camera plugs through this unit, and it adds the sensor information e.g. distance to object onto the video. Has anyone tried this type of unit? I've had a few sets of those sensors in my cars over the years and did't have any issues, but never one with a video out. Would be great if anyone could advise if these are any use, or if there's another recommendation?

On a separate note, these or any sensors need a 12V supply. AFAIK, none of my previous cars had a CANBUS system to the extent the Leons do, and I didn't ever think to actually check the rear light voltage before.

Would there be any issues simply running them off the reverse light feed? I had issues with my reversing camera due to the canbus signal, which varied the voltage from 8-14V on my multimeter if I remember correctly. This caused signal interference, and ultimately I had to use a 12V feed (off my subwoofer supply) and have the camera on basically permanently.

As far as I can think, there are three options
  • Run off the reverse supply, no problemo
  • Run off the reverse light, but there's a capacitor or something in the middle to smooth out the signal. Or maybe there's an aftermarket kit to help with this?
  • Use a 12V relay, and use the reverse light feed to switch the 12V supply from the subwoofer

I'm really hoping not to have to use the relay - it feels like it would be a big and bulky answer to what should be a easy question.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members