Silicone Boost Pipes

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi all, so looking at making my car as efficient as poss. Is it worth changing the Boost pipe work over to silicone?
Is there any advantage? Or more looks. I understand there's less deforming of the pipe under pressure but does this have a noticeable effect on the car and output?
I have an aftermarket tip which will make a difference. What about the others?
Which ones are worth changing and why?
Any help always welcome.
Cheers
Ps pics of what you've changed would be good to see.

Sent from me!

May 25, 2008
cambs
Basically it's cosmetic in my eyes
They can withstand higher pressures and temperatures but as most people are running under 30psi of boost
It's just pretty colours

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Hi Sparkie. Pretty colours look good :)
I have blue silicone pipes and boost pipe. All looks better but only problem is the boost pipe has popped off a few times under pressure.
I can imagine you're keen to leave no stone unturned in your R...a car of perfection! :)

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Totally agree with the above. Silicone may last longer than stock but really how long does stock last? Many many years as we all know as there are many 1.8t running big boost without these over priced pretty pipe's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi Sparkie. Pretty colours look good :)
I have blue silicone pipes and boost pipe. All looks better but only problem is the boost pipe has popped off a few times under pressure.
I can imagine you're keen to leave no stone unturned in your R...a car of perfection! :)

Cheers bud. Trying to get it right for sure.

Sent from me!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Totally agree with the above. Silicone may last longer than stock but really how long does stock last? Many many years as we all know as there are many 1.8t running big boost without these over priced pretty pipe's.

Cool. More into spending money where it makes a difference, than good looks nobody sees.

Sent from me!

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
I got silicone boost pipes the other day as had boost leak from old original pipes and they do job brilliantly and yeah they look cool worth 23 quid in my opinion

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I got silicone boost pipes the other day as had boost leak from old original pipes and they do job brilliantly and yeah they look cool worth 23 quid in my opinion

Worthwhile if you need to replace but for me it's just having to wait for them to break and I'll end up doing the same.
Any pics of these pipe's? We like pics

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
Haha here is a pic , engine bay is still bit scruffy but getting it there will just take time.
e6b37d266d23777174825cdbbb2e570b.jpg
d65f76cf8d0a5144cb57ce80bdf4bf18.jpg

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
A mate happened to have a forge dv so will be fitting that soon been polishing it first it's boring but part of my life

W8WTF

Aug 25, 2017
London
A must! wear and tear can cause the smallest slit which can cause issues. I had a tiny slit on my BOV hose which took me months to find and once replaced with a new fancy silicone pipe the car felt so smooth.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
A must! wear and tear can cause the smallest slit which can cause issues. I had a tiny slit on my BOV hose which took me months to find and once replaced with a new fancy silicone pipe the car felt so smooth.

If they fail, I'll upgrade for sure.
Which are worth doing as a here and now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
If they fail, I'll upgrade for sure.
Which are worth doing as a here and now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Sparkie hope you can help me, so a few Months back I had a boost leak , replaced the two hoses the attach to the charge pipe all fixed drove like new. Now I seem to be getting the a boost leak again I say again as this time it's a weird noise when I let off the throttle.
Instead of a normal dv sound it's like a double shhh shhh noise (hahaha) don't laugh.
I had fitted a forge recirculation valve.
Do u know what the pipe/tube is called that comes out the top? I think it might be this pipe that needs replacing?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi Sparkie hope you can help me, so a few Months back I had a boost leak , replaced the two hoses the attach to the charge pipe all fixed drove like new. Now I seem to be getting the a boost leak again I say again as this time it's a weird noise when I let off the throttle.
Instead of a normal dv sound it's like a double shhh shhh noise (hahaha) don't laugh.
Do u know what the pipe/tube is called that comes out the top? I think it might be this pipe that needs replacing?

Not completely sure.
Dump valve spring not getting weak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
Not completely sure.
Dump valve spring not getting weak?

Oddly when I replaced the oe recirculation valve for the forge one the boost seemed to hold and the revs would slightly increase in gear change.
Might get the garage to have a look

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough

I every now and then have the double shhh shhh noise lol. Trying to figure it out for months but I have no clue, only thing I haven't replaced is n75 . I have stock dv and tbh put it down to position of foot on peddle as to why it happens. Strange really as the shhh sound lol seems to be the same pressure and about 0.5 sec between each other

00lafleur

Jan 29, 2017
I every now and then have the double shhh shhh noise lol. Trying to figure it out for months but I have no clue, only thing I haven't replaced is n75 . I have stock dv and tbh put it down to position of foot on peddle as to why it happens. Strange really as the shhh sound lol seems to be the same pressure and about 0.5 sec between each other

It's like a fluttering sound if that helps, the only time I have heard it else where was on you tube and the guys had taken the tube that feeds into the top of the recirculation valve off to get the sound , it sounds cool but I don't want it as I guess it's not doing good to the turbo ?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
It's like a fluttering sound if that helps, the only time I have heard it else where was on you tube and the guys had taken the tube that feeds into the top of the recirculation valve off to get the sound , it sounds cool but I don't want it as I guess it's not doing good to the turbo ?

More of a tuu tuu tuu than a shhh lmao not sure how to put it. Mine is different to you, mine is double shhh. You're issue is dv not working correctly. Spring bad or dv just plain crap.
Agreed.. Does sound silly cool, had this when I first got the car, replaced with stock item "fit & forget" but do miss it

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Sounds like trumpton!
Mines a ptsss if that helps?

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.