EPC light 1.4 TSI turbo actuator

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Am off to Seat on Thursday with the same EPC and Engine Emissions control warnings as Briant566 and Chrisribiza. So I must suspect my turbo actuator needs replaced. My car is the same model as Brian566 (1.4 TSI SE SC).

I believe that since my car is petrol the turbo actuator is likely to be a waste gate actuator and not a variable vane actuator.

I assume that they will replace the actuator in the first instance but I don't know what work is involved

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and will be out of pocket if actuators or turbo needs replaced.
Anyone know what cost is likely to be if actuator or turbo needs replaced?

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Just over 7 months. But I understand that when the warranty runs out Seat have no further obligation and you are in the land of goodwill

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Am off to Seat on Thursday with the same EPC and Engine Emissions control warnings as Briant566 and Chrisribiza. So I must suspect my turbo actuator needs replaced. My car is the same model as Brian566 (1.4 TSI SE SC).

I believe that since my car is petrol the turbo actuator is likely to be a waste gate actuator and not a variable vane actuator.

I assume that they will replace the actuator in the first instance but I don't know what work is involved

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and will be out of pocket if actuators or turbo needs replaced.

Once they run the diagnostic tests the computer will tell them what to replace. I watched Seat assist test mine on the driveway and you could hear that the actuator was stuck open and just kept clicking when the arm was supposed to be moving.

If its a turbo that it needs sit down when you are getting the bill as it'll be 4 figures.

Not sure how much an actuator costs but its a quick fix if thats all it is.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
At 7 months you may be lucky with some goodwill payments. My actuator was replaced but failed again quickly and in the end it was a new turbo that was needed.

If you look at my thread I posted a link to at the too of this one there is a TPI for the issue which covers 3 stages. No 1 was to lube the mechanism, if that didnt work then replace it followed by finally turbo replacement if all else fails. So you may be luckyand only need the first step.

When approaching the good will don't go in like a raging bull. Speak to the dealer and see what they say then call customer services and open a case.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
I did callout Seat Assist a few weeks ago.
The AA attended did a diagnostic in my driveway and this pointed to the Bank1 O2 Sensor 1 (Rich). The AA man read the diagnostics wirelessly from his van so we were not actually beside the car to hear anything from the actuator :-(

Since I believe I am in the land of goodwill I will be reasonable in my approach. Depending on what is found on Thursday I understand that my dealer will contact Seat to see what they say. I suppose his response to me would most likely depend on what Seat say to him.

Four figures eh!. Looks like the good deal at purchase (£1000 contribution) is in jeopardy

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Ahh, when I called Seat assist I was lucky and got a VAG van / technician rather than the AA so he ran all the tests inside the car on his laptop and also done tests in the engine bay.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
I was offered the choice of a VAG technician or The AA. Thought it would make little difference. Maybe not luck after all, maybe just a bad choice on my part.

Worthy of note to all out there who may read this

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England

Keep us all informed if no reply we can assume you passed out at the cost [:@]

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Events impressively follow those as that advised in previous posts.
That is to say:-
1) Likely to be a faulty turbo actuator
2) First try to free the turbo actuator
3) Replace the turbo actuator
4) Replace the turbo.

Turbo actuator has been identified as the likely problem. I have gone to step 2) because I think a reasonable price has been quoted for actuator replacement with a promised, but undisclosed, dealership discount. Hopefully that will get rid of my yellow peril.
Booked in to replace the turbo actuator next Thursday when the discounted cost will be revealed.

Car is less than 5 years old so if a really expensive turbo replacement is required I have been told what the goodwill gesture from Seat will be. But that is a story for another day, since with luck the replacement of turbo actuator will do the trick.

Last edited:

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Turbo Actuator replaced today, but promised discount never happened.
The price paid, discount or not, seems reasonable, but how would I know if reasonable or not.
Never-the- less trust undermined.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Turbo Actuator replaced today, but promised discount never happened.
The price paid, discount or not, seems reasonable, but how would I know if reasonable or not.
Never-the- less trust undermined.

How come? Did you not question the lack of discount? How much was it?

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Did Question it and expressed my disappointment that discount talked of and promise to look after me since the car was less than 5 years old wasn't forthcoming.

Told that in the event it took longer than expected and a discount couldn't be given.

As I say trust undermined especially since the time I was told it took to do the work was longer than the time between leaving the car in and being contacted to say that job done!!

Bit reluctant to talk £sd since no one else seems to.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Did Question it and expressed my disappointment that discount talked of and promise to look after me since the car was less than 5 years old wasn't forthcoming.

Told that in the event it took longer than expected and a discount couldn't be given.

As I say trust undermined especially since the time I was told it took to do the work was longer than the time between leaving the car in and being contacted to say that job done!!

Bit reluctant to talk £sd since no one else seems to.

Good ol Agnews.... haven't changed since I last used them almost 10yrs ago and I'll never be back!

I only didn't mention price as I got mine done under extended warranty but the figures I seen on forums for a new turbo was £1200+

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Good to know the ballpark figure for a new turbo, but it is the price of a new turbo actuator (wastegate) fitting, labour and VAT that was of specific interest to me on this occasion. As I say not sure if quoting prices on the forum might contravene some forum rule.

Prior to the replacement of the turbo actuator the dealership did say that Seat would provide the turbo part free, but one promise broken has comprised trust.

Hopefully my engine management or emissions warning incidents are over and nothing else of significance follows in the future. Other than normal servicing and wear and tear of course.

Last edited:

connery-tdi

Feb 7, 2014
Essex
Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Just wondering what the costs were for having the actuator replaced?
I have a Fabia VRS that I believe is needing a replacement actuator.

Evening all.... reigniting an older post i'm having the same issues on an Ibiza FR with the 1.4 ACT motor...

Reading the posts, i've got the same understanding as Eric in that the Variable Vane Turbo's are diesels so its going to be the waste gate actuator on mine that is struggling...

I've also read that you should be able to freely move the actuator linkage... how true is this?

BR,

Lee

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.