Reasonance between 65-80mph

arg

Dec 13, 2016
Anybody get a resonance between 65 to 80mph? I believe it is coming from the heat shield in the central tunnel in which the exhaust centre section runs.

I notice that the Audi A3 has the same heat shield but there are some extra parts the seat doesn't have, which may sort it. Anybody tried?

Apart from don't go at those speeds, turn the radio up or stuff exhaust mount rubbers behind the sheild, anybody got any sensible solutions?

Car is 5 door 184 diesel.

Last edited:

arg

Dec 13, 2016
I've checked all the mounts, they are all there and all tight.

arg

Dec 13, 2016
No I haven't tried that yet as its a big job to remove it.

arg

Dec 13, 2016
Tyres? Not heard that before.

It has continental sport contact 2 on the front and Goodyear asymmetric 3 on the back.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I think Pirelli are the worst offenders for the tyre noise. Haven't heard the same complaints about Goodyear or Conti.

A couple of blobs or lines of heat resistant silicone in strategic places might help if it's the shield itself rather than a mounting point that is vibrating.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Tyres? Not heard that before.

It has continental sport contact 2 on the front and Goodyear asymmetric 3 on the back.

Might be coincidence but my car makes a "humming" noise between 65 and 75 and I only noticed after fitting some Goodyear Asymmetric 3's. It's not bad enough to warrant spending another £300 on replacements, but it is annoying when doing hundreds of motorway miles.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The fact that it doesn't alter if you change gear, and hence engine speed, would point to something other than the exhaust. Check wear on inside edge of rear tyres, this was a common Mk2 fault and could.lead to a droning noise. I'm not sure if your model has the artificial noise generator , but if it has, could be worth disconnecting it to rule it out.

arg

Dec 13, 2016
Noise generator disconnected sometime ago. Checked the rear tyres, they look ok on the inside edges.

Goggles76

Oct 1, 2016
Might be coincidence but my car makes a "humming" noise between 65 and 75 and I only noticed after fitting some Goodyear Asymmetric 3's. It's not bad enough to warrant spending another £300 on replacements, but it is annoying when doing hundreds of motorway miles.

I've had exactly the same issue with mine. I had some GS3s fitted and now between 60 and 70 there is an annoying hum. Great tyres but not sure if I'd have again with the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Does the noise happen even on the very smooth and quiet road surfaces? Also how old is the car and how much tread left on tyres?

Last edited:

steveb

Dec 10, 2014
Hi, i have the same issue on my 2014 seat 184 st.
It starts to hum when doing 72 mph up to 85 then fades. Initially i blamed the vredestein sessanta tyres and had them all changed last week but the noise is still there. I had a service a while back but the tech guy obviously couldnt take it out as it would have meant him speeding :confused:

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
I have a resonating sound, but mine starts a little lower, perhaps from 50mph onwards, getting progressively more frequent the faster you go. Very annoying on motorway miles.

For me, i'm 90% sure it's the wheel bearing. (Tell me if i'm wrong!) I hit a gigantic pot hole a few months ago, which threw the alignment out of whack. I got that fixed that but since then have noticed this annoying resonating sound coming from the same side. ( Near-Side Front ) It's on my to do list.

..I do also have 18inch rims.

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I have a resonating sound, but mine starts a little lower, perhaps from 50mph onwards, getting progressively more frequent the faster you go. Very annoying on motorway miles.

For me, i'm 90% sure it's the wheel bearing. (Tell me if i'm wrong!) I hit a gigantic pot hole a few months ago, which threw the alignment out of whack. I got that fixed that but since then have noticed this annoying resonating sound coming from the same side. ( Near-Side Front ) It's on my to do list.

..I do also have 18inch rims.

Have you jacked it up and spun the wheel? Any bearing noise? Is the wheel/tyre running true and round?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.