RCD510 with USB Support Review (Delphi Chinese Model)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Afternoon All,

Just thought as I couldn't find much on these cheaper Chinese models I would do a quick review so people would know what they are getting...

Here is the unit I got which is now cheaper than when I got it.. Showing as £99 plus £25 postage

eBay Link

Now the postage took around 2 weeks but was well packaged and had the unlock code written on the top, with came a USB cable which ended in a female connector so you could add any other usb cable into it and an AUX cable both which fitted the back of the RCD510.

This is the standard unit I took out and apart from the extra power cable I needed to cable into the quadlock this was pretty much plug and play...

IMAG0541.jpg

This is the unit installed after a nice morning of working out how to do simple things like re-wiring a quadlock...

IMAG0542.jpg

When turning on the unit I still seem to have the VW splash screen but it only shows for about 2-3 seconds so it doesn't bother me at all, once on the device normally starts up with the radio unless you already have an iPod or something music plugged in, the radio functions works fine but the interface is somewhat non helpful and useless as it will not show names of stations etc this is a pic of mine with some stations in... wish I knew what they were haha

IMAG0543.jpg

The scan function works fine and finds stations ok, even though I hardly ever use the radio this would annoy me quite abit if the better half did and she complained all the time lol

Now if you click thee old Media button you get this fine screen which is currently on AUX this is pretty basic setup again but it works well from what I can see... Aux is pretty standard as I still have use of the console mounted port near my handbrake after a little wire moving in the quad lock

IMAG0544.jpg

If I then plug my iPhone 3GS (oh yes I'm living the dream) you get a nice please wait pop up like so...

IMAG0545.jpg

This lasts about 3 seconds and then loads the iphone tab up automatically, this I find quite handy... what isn't handy is that it will start playing the first track on your iPhone in alphabetical order so in my case for some reason I have Abba... now I'm hoping that people are just looking at the pictures and not reading so I shoudl be safe! but a better song looks like this...

IMAG0546.jpg

Now as this is the function I bought it for I am not disappointed for the price I paid... all steering wheel controls work including skipping a track etc although one flaw I have found is that when you reach the end of a playlist it starts from the first track alphabetically again so I get Abba alot! (Mental note must change first song) so instead of playing the playlist again it goes off and does it's own thing... Please tell me I'm doing it wrong and I will love you forever! Also another point is that I cannot select the playlists from the unit it's just songs from what I can see so if you just use playlists then make sure they are long enough for the journey...

Now the setup etc... Now I will say this unit has no difference in sound quality than my old standard unit and this should be noted before buying if you need extra sound quality... the button in the top left of the unit gives you a menu about sound etc like so...

IMAG0547.jpg

I will only dive into the equalizer as the other stuff is pretty obvious, so I click Treble - Mid - Bass and boom here is a very boring equalizer lol

IMAG0548.jpg

Now after playing around with this quite abit I have decided it is alot more efficent to change the sound of the music on the iPhone as this option doesn't really seem to do much apart from making it really tinny or too bassy... but I suppose with people that have the time to sort it out it could work well as it has quite a lot of notches on each line to fine tune...

Now if we click the top left button again it takes us back to the iPhone section, if I then click Setup we get all these lovely options for the world to see, now being a better unit I was expecting more options not sure what but hey lol

IMAG0549.jpg

I won't be going into each section as I have a rumbling stomach at this comes first... Here is a screen shot of all the options you get anyway most of them are easy peasy to get...

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0553.jpg

Now two last things left to look at and that is the CD Player and SD Card Slot... I can explain the CD Player in one word... basic lol basic but does the job I suppose yet another thing I don't really use I'm guessing it does what you'd need it to...

IMAG0554.jpg

6 CD's for all your needs, be it Slayer or that Jerking women Cirus the Virus or something...

Then the SD card is something I want to try but I don't have a SD card to try it with lol and probably won't have for a while which is mildly annoying!

Anyway that's a short review of the Chinese Version of the RCD510 with USB Support...

My summary is that the unit is well made but the interface is lacking and boring to look at... the USB support is good and what I was after! Easy install on my MK2 Pre-FL Leon FR.

I would give it a 6 out of 10 but the 6 is the bits that I wanted so it was well worth it for me! now it's even cheaper be silly not to give it a try I think...

Chow for now!

Simon

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Good review and glad you got it all working :)

I think for the money these are spot on, even if just to make the interior look nicer. Retrofitting proper USB/ iPod support to the OEM EU head units would cost about the same anyway so this certainly makes a lot of sense.

What was up with the CD changer in the end by the way? Oh and on the VW logo front my RNS 310 does the same at startup, seems only certain models are able to detect and change to a SEAT logo.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks very much,

I checked his previous orders for this unit, 13 in all and they are all happy so I'm guessing this is just a weird one, they are looking into the problem now and seem like a very good seller...

Didn't want to put people off as this unit is well worth the money...

I'm going to take it out and re align the unit incase it just off straight, then disconnect the battery to make sure it doesn't need a turn off and on again lol

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Looks well for the money!

How easy are they to get working?

Thanks

Well I know nothing about fitting a stereo, I got it done from guides on here and some help from users on here, it took me about 3-4 hours to get the old unit out and fitting the new one (needed to re wire 3 cables in the quadlock - 2 for the AUX port near my handbrake and splicing the power cable) and everything just worked! about as close as it gets to plug and play...

I'd say for a capable person you could easily do this within an hour... I could if I did it again I think.

Last edited:

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
For the money I think I'd rather have a second hand EU unit with RDS and DAB. If you want new that looks like a decent deal though. I think there's an issue getting the MFSW working with the EU units too on pre-fl, which is what's putting me off upgrading. I assume you didn't get stung for import duty?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
For the money I think I'd rather have a second hand EU unit with RDS and DAB. If you want new that looks like a decent deal though. I think there's an issue getting the MFSW working with the EU units too on pre-fl, which is what's putting me off upgrading. I assume you didn't get stung for import duty?

I think since I didn't use the radio I didn't really mind not having RDS or DAB but yes I'm sure that would put quite a few people off this exact model the guy who sells this model does others I'm pretty sure...

My MFSW works fine with this model which I wasn't sure about when I got it... But as it works I am more than happy!

Yeah no Import tax for me either... pretty sure I was just lucky...

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
Yeah I think you did, they're clamping down on import duty. That would have added another £30 to the price. The Chinese are pretty good at marking it so it gets through without problems though. I got a PSP a few years ago marked as a used picture frame worth £5!

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
MFSW and MFD works fine with the RCD 510 DAB on pre face lift cars. The only thing I haven't got working is the Bluetooth. Need the newer Bluetooth module. Just looking for a cheap one to experiment with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
MFSW and MFD works fine with the RCD 510 DAB on pre face lift cars. The only thing I haven't got working is the Bluetooth. Need the newer Bluetooth module. Just looking for a cheap one to experiment with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's down to the MFD that the buttons wouldn't work with mine. I have the small version. I know some people have had problems. If you can correct me or explain how to get them to work I'd be very happy!

holmefield

Forever messing with cars
Oct 20, 2013
NOW that's a good write up there fella..

I've been toying with getting on of these head units, mainly to bring the interior more upto date. I must admit I was a little put off by them coming from China but from what I've read on your review all seems ok, can I just ask

A. so if you program in Radio 1 ( for me 97.8 fm ) would it just show 97.8 and not Radio 1?

B. my Aux is next to the handbreak just 3.5mm jack plug would this still work ok with the RCD510?

C. so its fairly easy to get the steering wheel controls working with the new headunit?

Thanks

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
NOW that's a good write up there fella..

I've been toying with getting on of these head units, mainly to bring the interior more upto date. I must admit I was a little put off by them coming from China but from what I've read on your review all seems ok, can I just ask

A. so if you program in Radio 1 ( for me 97.8 fm ) would it just show 97.8 and not Radio 1?

B. my Aux is next to the handbreak just 3.5mm jack plug would this still work ok with the RCD510?

C. so its fairly easy to get the steering wheel controls working with the new headunit?

Thanks

Ta muchly,

As for your questions

A. Yes as in the picture it shows up as 97.8 fm minor issue if you ask me... If it bothered you that much I'm sure there is a fm app for phones etc you could route through when connected via USB...

B. to get the aux working you will need to swap 2 cables in the quad lock... Purple and white from memory... The quad is split into 3 parts from what I saw... One section for power and important cables lol the other is all the speakers and the 3rd is for aux, well it had room for other stuff but my fr doesn't have many goodies with it lol

C. In my car I didn't have to change anything to get the steering controls working it was just plug and play, you just sit back and eat haribo...

Hope that helps

tommy12

Apr 13, 2013
So other than a radio is the nothing you can do so it comes up as radio1 on the screen? Or would you have to buy a different version of the head unit?

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
So other than a radio is the nothing you can do so it comes up as radio1 on the screen? Or would you have to buy a different version of the head unit?

You'd need the EU unit for that but they're a fair bit more expensive. Minimum £150 used and over £200 new on eBay.

Only other point is if you've got an old Leon (pre mid 2007) it might require a CANBUS upgrade to prevent the battery drain issue that some people experience.

Tiburon

Aug 2, 2012
Israel
Great review!
I also got this Chinese unit, can you tell me how the quad block should looks like after switching the pins?
I used to have different unit so my pins already switched before and now the aux works just in one side...
Many thanks

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Great review!
I also got this Chinese unit, can you tell me how the quad block should looks like after switching the pins?
I used to have different unit so my pins already switched before and now the aux works just in one side...
Many thanks

I will be taking the unit out tomorrow so if you can wait till then I'd be happy to help

The label on the top is what I went by shows in the bottom left block of the four was a black, purple and white cable aux left and right and another I think it was aux ground...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Much appreciated if you can take picture of the the quad and the top label so i can do the same :)

Yours should have the label on too it's like a little wiring diagram...

No worries hopefully should be around lunch time I will pm you...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise