Use of "txt speak"

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Sorry to bring this up but its becoming more and more common.

The amount of members using "txt" abbreviations seems to be on the up, and despite mentioning the fact that it is a forum rule to not do so, continue to.

As a "senior member" I make my best efforts to adhere to the rules.

It seems the majority of the "offenders" are new members, who of all people should be more than aware of the forum rules, after agreeing to them upon registration.

If it means reporting offending posts then I will happily do that. Maybe its me being intollerant? Its just got to the point where im fed up with it.

Many thanks.

Tom.

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
its very annoying, thats were the "weeman" chav speak came from as a piss take. also shows that they cant be bothered using correct english.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I think what we may be seeing here isn't necessarily something that people are doing to annoy, but more of a cultural issue where people are so used to communication in 'txt' that it has become a part of life.

You have to assume these same people pass exams, or conduct themselves through interviews / day jobs, so should be able to communicate in plain english.

We have a fair few overseas forum members on here now who must wonder what the hell is being said in some of the threads.

There was a thread floating about the other day by ZBOYD about forum conduct, but I think people are so busy to get their opinions or questions off their chests when they sign up as newbies that the rules & regulations of the forum are not necessarily read in any level of detail. We all get it wrong sometimes, but I have to say that the people who start threads in txt spk probably stand far less chance of getting any useful help from established members, and it would be a real shame to see so much of the useful insight of his forum diluted by drivel, simpleton english and text dialects.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
It never ceases to amaze me that most of our overseas visitors can speak (write) better English than most of the 'offenders'
says something really, doesn't it.....

:(

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
I think what we may be seeing here isn't necessarily something that people are doing to annoy, but more of a cultural issue where people are so used to communication in 'txt' that it has become a part of life.

You have to assume these same people pass exams, or conduct themselves through interviews / day jobs, so should be able to communicate in plain english.

We have a fair few overseas forum members on here now who must wonder what the hell is being said in some of the threads.

There was a thread floating about the other day by ZBOYD about forum conduct, but I think people are so busy to get their opinions or questions off their chests when they sign up as newbies that the rules & regulations of the forum are not necessarily read in any level of detail. We all get it wrong sometimes, but I have to say that the people who start threads in txt spk probably stand far less chance of getting any useful help from established members, and it would be a real shame to see so much of the useful insight of his forum diluted by drivel, simpleton english and text dialects.

i was involved in interviews last month,some of them could barely string a sentence together in "proper" English.One even sniggered at every question put to him,which I found bizarre and bloody annoying.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Is there any way of filtering certain words out. By this i mean abbreviations of words such as any1 as opposed to anyone, u rather than you.
Anyway being intelligent people who can use correct english, you know what im saying.
Its just got to the point where its ridiculous.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I have a horrible feeling that the software used to do the filtering, currently, isn't intelligent enough to differentiate between U on it's own and U as part of a word so you'll get a random * in the middle of a word.

I hold the view that if I can't easily read/understand a thread it gets ignored, which may be a better tactic than complaining and shouting at people each time. However, I do agree that the current standard of English on here is on a downwards trend. :(

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
i was involved in interviews last month,some of them could barely string a sentence together in "proper" English.One even sniggered at every question put to him,which I found bizarre and bloody annoying.

In fairness, if all the questions were about poo... :)

It's definitely spreading from texts to the rest of written language - I'm seeing business email from younger people coming through now with abbreviations all over the place. I've also given up filtering out (mostly word-processed) CVs with bad spelling and grammar as a matter of course, because I'd have none left otherwise. :shrug:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Trouble is , if you did filter 'u', would it throw everything with the letter in into confusion?

the filter is only doing what its told and cant differentiate on whats correct and not in certain instances, therefore it can cause more hassle than the feejits that use txt-spk in truth.
:(

warren_cox

Back from the dead
In fairness, if all the questions were about poo... :)

It's definitely spreading from texts to the rest of written language - I'm seeing business email from younger people coming through now with abbreviations all over the place. I've also given up filtering out (mostly word-processed) CVs with bad spelling and grammar as a matter of course, because I'd have none left otherwise. :shrug:

Are we worrying about a natural evolution of language that we can't / shouldn't stop? 'Ye olde english' has been replaced by what we now use as plain english, and maybe the language will evolve again. I'm a great believer that through the adherance of reasonable standards you'll naturally attract the right people and repell the others.

It's funny how language has evolved from grunts and hollering 3000+ years ago, and like most things in life we look like we may be heading back there!!!

Call me old fashioned, but I'm a great believer that without an evolved form of language you can't cleanly convey issues over the net as you can't use your hands, expression or easily demonstrate things. Yes you can use pictures, but then you have to be able to understand the response coming back to you.

Can of worms all this.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Are we worrying about a natural evolution of language that we can't / shouldn't stop? 'Ye olde english' has been replaced by what we now use as plain english, and maybe the language will evolve again.

First draft of my post had a paragraph to that effect (I hated studying Chaucer at school) but this isn't evolution we're seeing. It's a step change, and one brought about over the last 10 years by mobile phones.

As you say, can of worms.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
bt wen iz nt mkin ne sens du u tink dat iz k 2 typ lik a dic? kl?

I want to know - do they find it easy to read stuff like that, because for me it takes 3 times as long as if it was spelled correctly. In fact, I find it easier to read that thing about how, if you leave the first and last letters of the words in place, you can mix the rest up and still understand the sentence.

Aug 24, 2007
wtf is it with the 111 bit :confused:

Seen that before but can't even guess what it's supposed to mean ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I want to know - do they find it easy to read stuff like that, because for me it takes 3 times as long as if it was spelled correctly. In fact, I find it easier to read that thing about how, if you leave the first and last letters of the words in place, you can mix the rest up and still understand the sentence.

I konw waht you maen mrak, it's a lot eeisar

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Language is a beautiful thing and yes, it does evolve.

It has a particular use here on SCN to describe and explain technical issues. Text speak is not capable of doing that - because it's a lower level of language. I've seen plenty of text speak questions here, but I can't think of an example used for an explanation of a complex issue.

In all honesty, text speak is laziness 95% of the time.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members